What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to move files from PC to iPad2 - iCloud?

donnyb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to use iCloud to move files from my PC to iCloud and then later move to my iPad2?
Also, is it possible to use the iCloud to back up my iPad2?

I have an iCloud account and have gone to the iCloud website (icloud.com), signed in, but there are only a few things there. BTW, I have a new iPad2 and have iO5 and have iTunes 10.5, but it's not very intuitive as to how it all works.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is not possible (at this time) to use iCloud to move files between the computer and PC (with the exception of the iWorks apps). DropBox and/or Box.net are better services for this. Hold in mind that there is no general file system on the iPad, so no matter what you do you can't just dump files on the iPad and get to them with any app.

That said, you can generally get files where you want them using a combination of the two mentioned services, email, and the occasional app like GoodReader. No one solution fits all cases.

File Sharing through iTunes is also an option for many apps.

iOS: About File Sharing

You can do backups in the iCloud. It is one of it's major services. Once you set up backups in iCloud, they will not longer happen automatically in iTunes on the computer, but you can still force one there.

iCloud: Backup and restore overview

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you tap and hold on any icon they should all start to jiggle. Tap the x that appears on the icon and the app and all it's files will be deleted from the iPad. Tap the Home button to exit this mode.

In iOS 5 you also have the option of going to Settings > General > Usage and managing apps and their files from the Storage list. Tap on an app for detailed information and a delete option. If it has storage for user files you will have the option of deleting all files, separate from the app.

To delete specific files from an app you have to open that app and use whatever options it has.

tejask

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any update for ipad4

Hello Poet,
I understand that your below comment was for ipad 2. Dose it still valid for ipad 4 i.e. Have you found any way to exchange the files over icloud? (may be apple has upgrade/made changes icloud with new generation ipads)

I am using ipad4 and would like to use icloud to transfer files from windows laptop to my ipad.

FYI: I installed dropbox as per your advice and it is working awesome! Thanks for it.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
tejas

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Poet,
I understand that your below comment was for ipad 2. Dose it still valid for ipad 4 i.e. Have you found any way to exchange the files over icloud? (may be apple has upgrade/made changes icloud with new generation ipads)

I am using ipad4 and would like to use icloud to transfer files from windows laptop to my ipad.

FYI: I installed dropbox as per your advice and it is working awesome! Thanks for it.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
tejas

No problem.

As of iOS 6.02, iCloud still does not offer a general file transfer/storage option, no matter what device you have.

If you had a Mac, then some apps (mostly Apple's iWorks apps) will automatically sync files to iCloud; however those files are only available in their respective apps. This isn't quite the same as offline storage, since the documents are automatically synced (stored locally), as well as being online at icloud.com

DropBox and Box are still the best alternatives that I know of. Box recently added computer side syncing apps, similar to DropBox's, which puts it on a parity, syncing wise. DropBox is still probably the easiest to use, and most widely supported by third party apps. Box offers a wider array of sharing and collaboration features in their free account.

Most reactions

Latest posts