What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get a snapshot out of iMovies

• Thread starter Deleted member 247820
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 247820

I have searched all over and examined iMovies instructions.
I cannot find how to extract a photo from a video in iMovies.
I use iPad 2 iOS 7.1. IMovies is updated to latest.
The only way I have found is to take a screenshot and edit it.
As you can imagine it is not a good result.
Is there a better way?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, playing it full screen and using screenshot. Other than that, no, I can't find anything. Not even after saving it to the Photos app.

I suspect you'd have to find a third party app that allows frame captures and export the movie to that. I've got no idea what apps might have that ability.

If you're looking to have a frame freeze for some set time in your iMovie project, that is possible.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi and thanks T Poet.
Firstly I am pleased that I have not missed the way to do it.
I am not that desperate to use a third party app.
The freeze frame works fine.
I was able to trim all video away from the frame in question and then freeze frame what was left, then export to Camera Roll.
Alas it still exports as a MOV.
So I will have to use the screen shot or capture a frame whilst the video is still in my camera. I can do that also.
Big thanks for the prompt reply.
Just as an aside, I can get a "snapshot" easily using Windows Movie Maker. However I want my iPad to be my main man, so that is why I am pursuing this fix.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like to use the [universal] app "Video 2 Photo" (link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/video-2-photo-extract-still/id487353844?mt=8). It's $1.99 (USD) and I, personally, think its worth the price. Here's an example of what the app can do:

(1) Open a video from your Photos app and either swipe through each individual frame or use the bar at the bottom to move back and forth in the video (note that the video is not playing - it's just a series of images):

eqevu9eg.jpg

(2) Tap the picture you've decided on to get options to save, mail, etc.:

esa5y6a9.jpg

EDITED TO ADD: That square icon in the upper right can be tapped so you can open an option to crop the photo...

(3) This is what the video still/clip looks like after it's been saved to my Photo Album:

5eratydu.jpg

Again, it's a paid app, but I've been impressed with the photos I can get from it. Maybe it'll do for you?

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . . Big thanks for the prompt reply.
Just as an aside, I can get a "snapshot" easily using Windows Movie Maker. However I want my iPad to be my main man, so that is why I am pursuing this fix.

No problem.

There are alternate video taking/editing apps for the iPad; some with more features, or at least different features, than iMovie and the Camera app. I don't use any, and can't remember the names of the better ones, so you'll have to shop a round and see what you can find.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi T Poet and Mickey.
Thanks for taking time out to reply.
Mickey I will buy and try the "Video to Photo" at a coup;e of Dollars I cannot go wrong.
Can I assume the photo file saved will be the same size as the video frame?

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hello T Poet and Mickey.
I have D/L Video 2 Photo.
I like it.
Good results.
Easy to use.
Big thanks!

Most reactions