What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to get 3g in france

mattbert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone-

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Tim, that is really encouraging, I'm glad I wound up gettin the 3G model!

Does anyone have any navigation packages they recommend for this application that have the maps downloaded to the iPad device? I have the 64GB model and don't have a ton of things on it, so, I'm glad I spent the extra money at this point I think!

We would be travelling to Barcelona, then up towards Toulousse, FR through Andorra, so would love to get turn-by-turn directions if possible.

I am assuming that the accessory jacks would be the same in cars over there, so, I should be able to bring those adapters along, shouldn't I?

Thanks for all your help. Sorry for some of the noob questions!

Mattbert

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone-

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Tim, that is really encouraging, I'm glad I wound up gettin the 3G model!

Does anyone have any navigation packages they recommend for this application that have the maps downloaded to the iPad device? I have the 64GB model and don't have a ton of things on it, so, I'm glad I spent the extra money at this point I think!

We would be travelling to Barcelona, then up towards Toulousse, FR through Andorra, so would love to get turn-by-turn directions if possible.

I am assuming that the accessory jacks would be the same in cars over there, so, I should be able to bring those adapters along, shouldn't I?

Thanks for all your help. Sorry for some of the noob questions!

Mattbert

One question answered - for sure - the accessory jacks in cars are exactly the same!!

Navigon is recommended by quite a few Members - so take a look - for turn-by-turn navigation.

Your trip sounds fantastic - I hope you have a really great time!!

Tim

mattbert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim-

Thanks very much! Do you know if Navigon loads the maps on the device, so, it works in disconnected mode?

It appears to be the case, I just wanted to confirm.

For the ~$90 it is in the app store, it's probably a lot cheaper than buying new maps for my existing GPS.

We're definitely looking forward to the trip.

thank you!

Mattbert

sas8888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used Tom Tom western Europe in England, Ireland, France, Germany,Italy, and Spain. It has worked very well and gotten me to places I would have never found otherwise.

mattbert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

As luck would have it - or not have it - I should probably have ordered the Navigon ones a couple of weeks ago as I think they aren't on sale any more.

I am going to do a bit more checking and maybe take a look at the Tom Tom as well.

I have about a month before the trip so still a bit of time to explore.

Mattbert

kayyak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad 2 3g sim cards for spain

I found this when asking about 1pad 3g sim cards for Spain - Very good Price, and you purchase the Sim in the UK - They also forward calls from your UK mobile number.

holidayphone.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Hi All-

I will be taking a trip in September to Spain and France, and have an iPad2 w/AT&T 3G service.

I am interested in using the iPad for GPS if possible, which has lead to a number of questions.

Any help people could provide would be much appreciated.

My questions are:

Does the AT&T 3G service work in Europe, and, what is the best/cheapest way to handle the billing for it? I am on the $25/month plan presently.

I assume I will need the 3G service if I'm going to use the iPad for GPS navigation. (I have a Garmin GPS as an alternative, but, would rather not have to drag that along if I don't have to, plus, it needs updated maps so will cost some $$.)

I am assuming US car chargers will work on rental cars in Europe?

It sounds as if the wall charger that came with the iPad2 will work in Europe based on other threads, it is just a matter of having the correct plug, is that correct? Is there a name for the type of plug found most commonly through Spain and France?

Thank you for your help.

Mattbert

opce2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One Eyed Dog - 3G in France

Reliable information about 3G in France can be found here -

oneeyeddog.wordpress.com/2011/08/07/low-cost-mobile-broadband-in-france-french-orange-mobicartea-payg-sim/

Most reactions

Latest posts