What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Delete Unwanted Apps?

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I delete Apps that I do not ever want again....besides unchecking them in the apps folder. I want them gone forever. You know, the crappy Apps that you will never use. Thanks!!

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just hold down the icon until it jiggles. You'll get a "x" on the app and you delete. Delete from iTunes as well.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, it does not delete them from iTunes. It just un-checks them on the device's app page so that they no longer sync. You can permanently delete them there. If there is any doubt, like an update might fix the app, you might as well leave them there. It will make it easier to find and download them again later for testing. (You'll still have to do the update, either in iTunes or on the iPad.)

If the app isn't in iTunes, that just means you've never transferred your purchases back to iTunes on the computer. It's a good idea to do this every once in a while. It helps prevent the loss Media if you iPad should every die or need restored. In the Files menu, select Transfer Purchases From. . .

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, it does not delete them from iTunes. It just un-checks them on the device's app page so that they no longer sync. You can permanently delete them there. If there is any doubt, like an update might fix the app, you might as well leave them there. It will make it easier to find and download them again later for testing. (You'll still have to do the update, either in iTunes or on the iPad.)

If the app isn't in iTunes, that just means you've never transferred your purchases back to iTunes on the computer. It's a good idea to do this every once in a while. It helps prevent the loss Media if you iPad should every die or need restored. In the Files menu, select Transfer Purchases From. . .

Actually, when I wrote "Delete from iTunes as well" I didn't mean that deleting the app from the device would delete from iTunes as well, I meant that after you delete from the device as I instructed, to "Delete from iTunes as well," as in Step 2. I should have made that clearer. Thanks!

OP
Hivoltage

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am wanting to delete from Itunes altogether!!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, when I wrote "Delete from iTunes as well" I didn't mean that deleting the app from the device would delete from iTunes as well, I meant that after you delete from the device as I instructed, to "Delete from iTunes as well," as in Step 2. I should have made that clearer. Thanks!

If I'd been reading closer I would have caught that. Sorry.

Last edited:

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Usually if it's a freebie I don't end up liking. I delete it altogether. Sometimes though, I'll have a paid app that I don't want on either my iPhone or iPad anymore, but since I paid for it, I'll go ahead and leave it on iTunes on the desktop in the event that there is an update that makes me give it a second look.

tnbug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you delete from the iPad does it still leave files behind like a pc how do you find them?
Thanks.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
tnbug said:
When you delete from the iPad does it still leave files behind like a pc how do you find them?
Thanks.

No. Each app has its own folder on the iPad. The whole folder is removed. If you want to explore you folder structures give iPhone Explorer a look. You can only see the Media And application folders without jailbreaking, but that is still pretty usefull.

http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

tnbug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet.. I had no idea how it worked with an iPad. Bookmarking so if i do get one will know what to do.

Last edited:

Ripvw1943

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just hold down the icon until it jiggles. You'll get a "x" on the app and you delete. Delete from iTunes as well.
Does this just delete from the home page? It appears the app is still on the iPad as you can re-install at any time. Ifit is still on the iPad is there away to remove it completely - to save memory.

Most reactions

Latest posts