What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to "deactivate" 3g iPad 2?

jlcamp7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So this might sound like a dumb question but I'm a little unsure on what I need to do.

I purchased a black iPad 2 32gb 3G AT&T Best Buy. I decided that I really no longer need the 3g (just one more thing to pay for) and that a plain wifi one will be fine. So I've decided to sell the 3G model, but wasn't sure what I need to do before handing over the ipad to whoever buys it? Do I just hand it off to them and they can set it up on their own line? Or do I have to cancel the line that is connected to the iPad? Just wasn't sure what steps I need to take for it to be a "clean slate" for them to set up on their own AT&T account. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So this might sound like a dumb question but I'm a little unsure on what I need to do.

I purchased a black iPad 2 32gb 3G AT&T Best Buy. I decided that I really no longer need the 3g (just one more thing to pay for) and that a plain wifi one will be fine. So I've decided to sell the 3G model, but wasn't sure what I need to do before handing over the ipad to whoever buys it? Do I just hand it off to them and they can set it up on their own line? Or do I have to cancel the line that is connected to the iPad? Just wasn't sure what steps I need to take for it to be a "clean slate" for them to set up on their own AT&T account. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Good to hear from you.

Did you open the box?

Did you open an iTunes account?

Tim
Scotland

ratatapa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You just need to go into general and format the Ipad and erase all data

So when you give it away and the person activates the 3g they will need to enter their own info

OP
J

jlcamp7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ratatapa said:
You just need to go into general and format the Ipad and erase all data

So when you give it away and the person activates the 3g they will need to enter their own info

No I haven't opened it or set it up. It is still in the cellophane wrapping. I didn't need it open because I also picked up a wifi only version and ended up opening it up and keeping it. So the other one is still in box and never been turned on. Do I just need to call AT&T and cancel the phone line? By the way thanks for the quick responses.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sell it as is. There is no phone line. The owner of an AT&T 3G iPad has to set up his/her own account with AT&T after the iPad's been plugged into a computer and activated. Since the iPad's in the box, never opened, never activated, it's spanking brand new and good to go to whoever you can sell it to.

Most reactions