What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Create Your Own Winterboard Theme!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Create your own WinterBoard Theme!

Edit: I am completely re-writing this guide to make it easier, more pictures, and more functionality.

So, have you wanted to create your own winterboard theme?
Well, this is the guide for you!

What you need;
1. An iPad. (isn't that obvious?)
2. Be Jailbroken>>>>>>>>>>>> iPad 2: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-tutorial-jailbreak-ipad2-5-0-1-absinthe.html
>>>>>>>>>>>> iPad 1: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ial-jailbreak-ipad1-ios5-using-redsn0w-2.html

3. Download iFile from Cydia. (Preferably the paid version)
4. Download WinterBoard from Cydia.
5. 30 minutes or so. (depending on your knowledge of iFile and the general iPadness)

Let's get started! (Guide written with the iPad in Landscape)
1. Open iFile and navigate to Var / stash and scroll down to the folder named "Theme.(whatever)"
2. Tap "edit" in the top-right hand corner.
3. Tap the + icon on the bottom leftish.
4. Name the folder whatever you want. Then add ".theme" to the end of your folder name.
5. Tap "create" in the top of the window. Then tap "done" where the edit button was.
6. Open the folder you created, and repeat steps 2-5 but don't include .theme and name the folder "Bundles"
7. Now, this is where you will create custom theme stuff for each app. So, figure out which app you want to theme first.
After you know which app you want to theme first, on iFile, tap "Disk" on the left. Navagate to var/mobile/Applications.
8. If you have the paid version of iFile, tap on the gear icon in the bottom left. In that window that pops up, turn on "Application Names". Then just tap back in the main part and the window will disappear.
9. Now, all the folders show the app titles, instead of the wierd code thing. Tap on the app you want to open it. I will use Facebook as the example
10. Open the Facebook folder and tap on "Facebook.app". This is where all the resources for the Facebook app are stored.
11. Scroll down and look at all the pictures that make up the Facebook app. Now, you could make changes to the Facebook stuff here, but if you screw anything up, then you have to delete and reinstall the Facebook app. Winterboard takes all the hassle out of theming because if you screw something up, then you don't have to worry.
But, anyway, these are all the pictures you can replace with your own stuff to make a theme.
12. Scroll down to the Info.plist. Tap on and open it with the text viewer. Look at the line below "CFBundleIdentifier". That is the springboard identifier for that app. For example, the one for Facebook is "com.facebook.Facebook". Remeber that for the app you want to theme.
13. Go back to var/stash/Themes.(whatever)/the theme you created/Bundles
14. Now create a folder with the CFBundleIdentifier you remembered from earlier. So, the example was com.facebook.Facebook.
15. Now, first lets create a new icon for facebook. The icon file for all apps is labeled "Icon-72.png". So find a picture! Google, Photoshop, your family albums.... whatever. But, whatever you use, it must be 72x72! If not, the iPad WILL IMPLODE! (nah... Just kidding) But, make sure they are 72x72 and they are in .png format.
16. So, find your pic, and get it to that folder somehow, (SSH, whatever) and rename it Icon-72.png.
17. If you go back to the app folder, any of the pictures you see you can replace with one of your own. So, the same way as the Icon, any of those pictures can be themed. Just make sure they are the same size as the original picture. So, Photoshop is very helpful.

Just remember, any pictures you used, you have to have proper permission for to send your theme to a repository.

Look here to submit your theme to Cydia! http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...6-how-submit-your-theme-cydia.html#post270504

Have fun!
Post any questions and I will try my best to answer!

Last edited:
OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Oh, I am on this, Young One. Grayson ~ you should post a few samples.:D

Well, my NoDock theme in Cydia is one. I should make an example....

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Good effort!
Thanks for the contribution.

I would like to try to get this section going for you. I will have more tutorials soon!

And I am the first to make a thread here! I feel so special! :D

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. The first pic is before, the second, after.

Attachments

• image-3466940971.png
    image-3466940971.png
    859.8 KB · Views: 3,117
  • image-848915802.png
    image-848915802.png
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 2,778
OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New Theme!

After NoDock being a success with as of now, 755 downloads and rising fast, I decided to make another. This one is called NoSlider. It completely removes anything from the lock screen except the clock! Look for it in Cydia soon!

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grayshark95 said:
After NoDock being a success with as of now, 755 downloads and rising fast, I decided to make another. This one is called NoSlider. It completely removes anything from the lock screen except the clock! Look for it in Cydia soon!

Screenie! :D

Attachments

• image-2092743463.png
    image-2092743463.png
    52 KB · Views: 1,177

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
grayshark95 said:
Oh, now they are 99 cents. :)

OK gs, great to hear you are having success, just remember the forum rules now you have made this change... Rules 13, then 12, need to be reviewed. The promotion of your own paid items is not allowed, particularly in your sig. Sorry. :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I went to Cydia a few min ago, the themes could be installed for free. Is this a bug? Have you made them available free of charge again? I am accessing Cydia from the UK, but considering Cydia is always a US store, that shouldn't matter. Or perhaps ModMyi just takes while to reflect these price changes?

Anyway, I really like the NoSlider one; Photos on the Lockscreen look much better that way :)

Edit: I supposed as long as the apps are still free, there is no harm done in having them linked in the sig.. And there is always the possibility of moving this thread into the App Announcement thread. But since that is mostly used for AppStore apps, it may actually be useful to create a similar sub-sub-forum for Cydia app/tweak/theme development in the Hacking section. Since anyone can promote their apps in the App Announcement thread, the same should be possible for Cydia content.

Attachments

• image-521711186.png
    image-521711186.png
    655.8 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:
OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
OK gs, great to hear you are having success, just remember the forum rules now you have made this change... Rules 13, then 12, need to be reviewed. The promotion of your own paid items is not allowed, particularly in your sig. Sorry. :(

Good point!

Would it at all be possible to move this thread "into" the tutorial on winter board themes?

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well...
Just got an email from modmyi saying that you can't make an unpaid app turn into a paid app.

So, can I put them back in my siggy?

Most reactions

Latest posts