What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How OCD are you about the battery level?

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My home has 6 different places to charge. I know some of you are care-free about letting it run down this thread is for the obsessed which I doubt I am the only one.

Obviously nothing makes me happier than 100 percent.
When I fall below 60 I find myself thinking about the battery more.
Below 50 and I am really thinking about charging.
Below 35 and I am nearly panicked.
Below 20 and I will knock people over if they are between me and a charger.
Below 10 and the nice men in white outfits have to restrain me.

I do run them down from time to time but it always bothers me.

bmahony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
My home has 6 different places to charge. I know some of you are care-free about letting it run down this thread is for the obsessed which I doubt I am the only one.

I charge mine when it gets below 10..doesn't bother me one way or the other..if it runs out so be it..:):):):):):):)

64 gb ipad2 in black

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score

LOL, I do what I can to help maximize by battery life and longevity of battery itself but I do not go too crazy about it. I fully drain it about once a month then usually charge it when it gets between 40-80 percent (if I can), but sometimes I forget so it drains lower when I am using it out and about so then I tend to conserve more. I do get paranoid when I travel though. Kind of funny, I am so worried about draining it that I end up hardly using it on flights and stuff. Even though that is the most entertaining things to do while traveling.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have two charging stations at home, one at work and one in my car. For both the 4S and iPad 3.

I don't think my iPad has ever been south of 50%. My phone has because I use certain apps that keep the screen on almost continually for a period of time, which drains the battery. When I am at my desk, something in on charge.

Oh...I forgot about my iPad Nano, which is my watch. It gets in the charging mix from time to time.

OP
B

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bmahony said:
I charge mine when it gets below 10..doesn't bother me one way or the other..if it runs out so be it..:):):):):):):)

64 gb ipad2 in black

I'd be under my desk in the fetal position twitching uncontrollably.

Sun King

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Down to 15% just now , off to bed soon so on charge it will go overnight . Yes it does make you keep an eye on it when it is getting low. When I am on a flight I make sure it is fully charged before I go to the airport but do not turn it on until I am on board.

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the iPad battery not have "memory" issues like other rechargeables? I'm always concerned about charging it when it is not fully discharged.

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drathbun said:
Does the iPad battery not have "memory" issues like other rechargeables? I'm always concerned about charging it when it is not fully discharged.

No the iPad and most modern gadgets do not have memory issues (No not at all).
You do have to discharge it occasionally to recalibrate the software on the battery that shows how full it is.
If you store you device without use for a long time leave it with battery charged at 40%. Leaving it discharged completely for weeks could kill the battery.

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zphone said:
You do have to discharge it occasionally to recalibrate the software on the battery that shows how full it is.
If you store you device without use for a long time leave it with battery charged at 40%. Leaving it discharged completely for weeks could kill the battery.

Good info thanks!

bassman99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good info thanks!

Very.

I've seen battery-life significantly affected by treatment. While Apple has a good charger, based on the battery technology used, good tips are:
O Don't let battery run out on a regular basis.
O Especially, don't leave battery fully discharged.
O Don't overcharge - even with a good charger, leaving on charger for long periods is bad mojo.
O Don't charge in high heat, or with heavy case on.
O Don't use while charging.

Each bullet above has it's basis in detailed engineering papers on the li-ion (polymer) iPads use. The recommendation to discharge monthly is for battery indicator accuracy, not battery life.

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:

+1

I am exactly the same no joke. I try to keep mine always above 80. Not just my ipad but for my phone and laptop as well.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zphone said:

Agreed. It's best to not let it run completely down except occasionally to calibrate the meter. Otherwise, anything under 50% or so and mine gets fresh juice.

hilsroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I think I'm probably a bit more relaxed about this than a lot of you out there! I generally charge up whenever it's appropriate - ie whenever I'm not going to need to use my ipad for a couple of hours - but only when it's down at 30-40%, say. Otherwise I generally don't make a specific decision to re-charge unless it goes below 10%, and I keep getting reminders that the battery's low. Sometimes I top up a bit during the evening if I'm watching a TV programme so that I've got enough charge to read when I go to bed. D'you think we're heading for an explosion of Apple Top-Up Anxiety Disorder? :)

Most reactions

Latest posts