What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many GB's do i need.

disneylover1977

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to decide which ipad2 to get.
Between the 16gb and 32gb with 3g?
I dont download a bunch of music or too many movies but i do want to watch my cable on demand and i am not sure if i need a ipad with 16gb or 32gb. I dont want to run out of space and have to upgrade too soon since this is alot of money to spend. I will be mainly surfing websites, forums, email and watching on demand and movies when i travel and might have a couple of games on it.

I want enough space but dont want to spend too much and really dont know if i would use 32gb one the 16gb...:confused:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to save money and if you don't need the camera why not look at a refurb iPad 1 32gb from Apple, good saving from an iPad 2.

The Archangel

OP
D

disneylover1977

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to save money and if you don't need the camera why not look at a refurb iPad 1 32gb from Apple, good saving from an iPad 2.

The Archangel
I thought about that option but my husband is set on a ipad2 and its his brithday gift.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah! See, you didn't tell us all the info.

For me I would go 32gb, once you realise how much you can do you'll start using that space, better to have too much than too little.......but that's just me and I always have too much!

The Archangel

OP
D

disneylover1977

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just checked prices on at&t for the 3g versions and i can get a 64gb 3g ipad for 529, so my next question is, how different are the two ipads?
I know the i2 has a cammera but thats all i know..Does the ipad1 have the GPS like the ipad2 and are all the apps the same?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All 3G iPads have GPS, wifi only models don't have it. There are a few apps which are iPad 2 only but the majority of apps run on both, iMovie is an example of an iPad 2 only app this is due to iPad 2 having more RAM and a faster processor. I have an iPad 1 and I haven't regretted not upgrading at all but it really depends on how you will use it.

The Archangel

Reaction score
Since it's a gift for a loved one I'd suggest the 32gb.
What their needs/wants are now are probably going to change quite a bit as they learn more of the abilities of the ipad.
DropBox and all those cloud sites are great when you have access to the web but are useless offline.
I've got a 16gb3g ipad 1 and have plenty of memory to spare but I also use my phone much more and use a lot more of its memory. If not for my Android phone 16gb would not be enough for me and I don't have any movies on either device, just files, photos, apps and home videos
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Definitely 32gb as that's what I have and I have up to 10 films, 500 songs, 2/3000 ebooks and loads and loads of apps which are slowly being filled up. I can change that when I want and still have space to download films for rent.

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went 32 GB mainly for the added space to put Movies on it for vacations, so I wouldn't need to bring the MacBook.
Also know that the Apps take up more space than you would think. I have 76 apps so about 6.4 GB in apps and games alone. Then under 4.5 GB in Music, I have most of my music on my iPhone 4. And the rest will be mainly for movies. I also have ebooks in the kindle app and magazines in the Zinio app.

cola175

iPF Noob
Reaction score
disneylover1977 said:
I am trying to decide which ipad2 to get.
Between the 16gb and 32gb with 3g?
I dont download a bunch of music or too many movies but i do want to watch my cable on demand and i am not sure if i need a ipad with 16gb or 32gb. I dont want to run out of space and have to upgrade too soon since this is alot of money to spend. I will be mainly surfing websites, forums, email and watching on demand and movies when i travel and might have a couple of games on it.

I want enough space but dont want to spend too much and really dont know if i would use 32gb one the 16gb...:confused:

Get the 16gb.

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will get whatever your budget permit, I prefer 64gb but I think 32gb will be ok. However you have to think on everything you want to do and remember that you have no way to upgrade the storage capabilities later.

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For most people your biggest usage would be for storing music and movies. If you have no interest in that, or are like me and you stream everything then I would say the 16gb version is plenty big enough IMHO.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Most reactions