What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many apps can 16gb hold?

msny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen various numbers on this on the net.
How many can it really hold?

Does the iPad2 tell you when disk space is getting low?

Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's impossible to say because the apps, and their associated data files, vary enormously in size. Some apps are only about 1MB while others - say navigation apps with stored maps - can be over 200MB. But generally most apps are in the 1-5MB in size. It's going to be the movies and music that take up most of the space.

Tim

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, just go the 'Settings' and then 'About' - the amount of memory available and used is listed there; of course, the OS will take up some memory, but I've only used up about 3 GB w/ dozens of apps.

Now I'm not placing music (which is on my iPod Touch) nor videos - these two formats will really devour your memory, esp. HD video, so keep an eye open if you plan to add a LOT of music & video - :)

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has to be a trick question.
Q. How many apps can a 16GB iPad hold?
A. 16GB worth

(Joke answer I know that there are losses for the OS and formatting)

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
Some Hi Res games are close to 1Gb in size, CoPilot EU is 2Gb.
Films can be 100s of meg.
I have about 20Gb of apps and that's over 300 - most are small but with CoPilot and a few HiRes games it does increase the space required dramatically.
The first I knew that I was running out of space on my 32Gb was when it said there was not enough room to synch all my photos.

pagansoul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you plug into your computer iTunes you can see the space you have in use for each segment...music, TV shows, movies, books, podcast, apps, photos, misc and unused. If you are a big game player just rotate them. If keeping score is important to you I think you have to keep that game on the Pad in order to keep it's score.

Destroyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
depends on the size of the apps plus music stored and any other file you have.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
M

msny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has to be a trick question.
Q. How many apps can a 16GB iPad hold?
A. 16GB worth

(Joke answer I know that there are losses for the OS and formatting)

:D

Didnt mean it that way, just wondering, inquiring minds want to know
this stuff.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Well, near impossible to answer. It can store hundreds of very small apps, or a few large ones. I have 24gb of apps/data on my 64GB iPad and I have 326 apps installed. I have a friend of mine with over 500 apps on his 16gb and it takes less than 10gb.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Related question - I've been mainly a PC user for years, and a Windows hard drive can quickly fill up w/ browser caches, temp files, installed apps that do not clean up after themselves, and who knows what else.

Thus, a certain amount of 'free' space should be left on a PC hard drive esp. for future installations and certain disk maintenance routines.

The iPad has flash memory (like a SSD), does it require 'clean up' routines and can the memory be filled to the brim? Thanks for any comments - :)

Most reactions

Latest posts