What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How low do you let your ipad battery get before charging?

MsAmandaLove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a random question...
I usually let mine go to 20 percent before letting it charge to 100%.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I usually let the battery drain completely once a month, per Apple instructions. Other than that I try to remember to do a full charge every night for the next day.

S65AMG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Usually until it is about 10-20% and completely drained once a month.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Simpson1190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anybody shut down the iPad overnight? Would turning it off each night extend the battery life? I know the iPad is just an oversized phone and I never turn my phone off.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shouldn't make much difference since it uses so little power when asleep.

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Normally until it's on it's last legs. Or until I've finished using it.
Most of the time I let it charge overnight. Although sometimes I've used it whilst charging. Sometime I wish the cable was a little longer!

celinedion1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I let it get to 5 precent before I charge it. I usually don't charge it until the battery is about to be out of juice. i think since getting my ipad i've only charged it once, or twice. I've had it for almost a week.

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I am home it is always plugged in and streaming Pandora so it usually doesn't get drained that far down between charges
Several times a month I will unplug it and let it run until it runs out of power

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I usually let the battery drain completely once a month, per Apple instructions. Other than that I try to remember to do a full charge every night for the next day.

x2 I think the full drain is important or at least in my mind it is...LOL

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is up with me today? I can't even spell SweetPoison's name correctly - sorry - now I'll have nightmares about that 'eye' watching me....

Tim
Scotland

mrrefloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Charge every night

The iPad uses a Li polymer battery. Lithium based batteries are happiest if you keep them nearly fully charged. When you deep discharge them too often you cause some hystereses effects. In other words you will decrease the level of the "full" charge. Lithium batteries like short, shallow cycles while Ni-CAD's like longer, deeper cycles. You will get a whole lot more battery cycles if you do not do deep discharges.

Ni-CAD batteries need to fully discharged every time in order to prevent memory effects. Li-Ion (and Li-polymer) are the opposite.

Apple's request for a full discharge once per month is so that they can calibrate their fuel gage circuit and has nothing to do with your battery life. I would not do a full discharge any more than once per month if even that often.

Reaction score
I don't plan on letting mine get below 5%. When I find it I'll post it but I've read they (LP) don't like to go below 4% and by doing so can harm the battery and are happiest ( most efficient) between 20 and 80%
One thing everyone seems to agree on is there is no memory effect with LI and LP batteries, other than that there seems to be no perfect answer
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Most reactions

Latest posts