What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How I play flash videos

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't think I really needed flash until I bought an ipad2 and realized just how much web content you actually lose without flash (it is a TON)

I just found a fairly cool way to play ALL flash or anything else if you have a working PC or MAC on your local LAN.

All you need is the $4 app Splashtop. That allows to to remotely connect to another computer in your local network and use all the apps/features/games etc. From that computer on your iPad.

I can connect to my PC, open IE and play flash videos exactly the same on the iPad as on the PC and it works super.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't think I really needed flash until I bought an ipad2 and realized just how much web content you actually lose without flash (it is a TON)

I just found a fairly cool way to play ALL flash or anything else if you have a working PC or MAC on your local LAN.

All you need is the $4 app Splashtop. That allows to to remotely connect to another computer in your local network and use all the apps/features/games etc. From that computer on your iPad.

I can connect to my PC, open IE and play flash videos exactly the same on the iPad as on the PC and it works super.

Sounds like a pain in the are to me....

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get the Puffin browser. Does basically the same thing using the Cloud rather than another PC so works on the move too.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i downloaded puffin but it doesnt play the flash videos on the BBC home page :(

Splash is great, but yeah, a faff. and it messes up your pc's home screen layout due to the forced resolution change. it is cool though, and runs everything your pc does at good speed. :)

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sounds like a pain in the are to me....

As is all workarounds with regards to flash. Ipad was simply not made for flash. Most are sluggish and unpredictable.

But hey ~ if someone found something that works well for them most of the time, go for it.:)

iMadHatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i will have to go with puffin for the simple fact that i dont have a desktop computer and my laptop overheats to quickly.

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have yet to find a single video that played well in Puffin.

I tried some videos on NFL.com last night with Puffin. The videos did load up, but it was like watching a slide show with no sound. The same thing happened on ESPN.com

Why people keep recommending this POS is beyond me, I bought it because of recommendations on this site but it was a complete total waste of money.

Splash top is not the most elegant solution, but it works perfectly and nothing else I have tried does (except just using my DroidX for videos)

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splash is great, but yeah, a faff. and it messes up your pc's home screen layout due to the forced resolution change. it is cool though, and runs everything your pc does at good speed. :)

Yea, the resolution thing does kinda suck but I have a 27" screen and it reverts to the exact same layout it had before as soon as you turn off the remote streaming app.

That might be a problem on a smaller screen however.

Reaction score
The resolution change when using Splashtop is not forced and can be turned off.

-Open Splashtop->Tap on the blue arrow next to the computer->Select Advanced->Use remote computer's native settings

So it really is up to the user, whether Splashtop adjusts the remote computers resolution. But remote computing does generally work better, when the remote computer does have the same resolution. So I would leave the Resolution at iPad's native, but each to their own.

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The resolution change when using Splashtop is not forced and can be turned off.

-Open Splashtop->Tap on the blue arrow next to the computer->Select Advanced->Use remote computer's native settings

I didn't realize that was an option, thanks for that info.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i downloaded puffin but it doesnt play the flash videos on the BBC home page :(

Use the BBC app it is fine

Most reactions