What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does the ipad compliment a MacbookPro?

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought my MBP a little over a week ago and absolutely love it! Though hesistant about the ipad (and whether or not id use it enough to warrant the cost). I picked up a 16GB black wifi ipad 2 and its awesome! Ive only had it for a day but I want to try it out for at least a few weeks to see how it would fit in my lifestyle. So how do you think an ipad can compliment a MBP?

You dont think having both is overkill do you?

richrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a tricky one!

Well, I guess the iPad is slightly more portable and less cumbersome than a MacBook pro - speaking relatively of course.

It may be worth you asking yourself (and if you like, telling us) what you will primarily be using the MacBook Pro for. The next question is, can an iPad perform the same or better.

Having purchased an iPad 1 and subsequently the iPad 2, my old black MacBook was pushed under my bed and gathered dust. I have since given it to my friend as his first ever MacBoom and he is loving it!

I use my iPad 2 mainly for:

Email
Web
Watching tv episodes and videos etc
Blogging apps
Viewing PDFs and jpegs
Syncing files between my iMac and my iPhone and my iPad via DropBox so I can work on and view all files whenever and wherever.

I could do all those thinks on my old MacBook. But as I travel for a living, the iPad is a much more streamlined, less cumbersome, lighter and of course much cooler way to stay to do all of the above.. And more of course!

I hope that helps?

Now have a think about how you might use yours...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have a MacBook and an iPad 2. And they both have their own uses. The iPad is great for portability. I take mine to classes everyday and to coffee shops when studying instead of my MacBook, It does what I need at those times without the weight of the MacBook.

And now my MacBook stays home plugged into a 23" HD monitor for home computing, web surfing. I still use the MacBook everyday, I can't browse the internet and check other things online and in iTunes for more than 20-30 minutes on an iPad.

And no, having both is definitely not overkill. You will find uses for both.
I plan to buy a new MacBook Pro in the near future to replace the MacBook I have, and having the iPad 2 won't effect my decision.

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have a MacBook and an iPad 2. And they both have their own uses. The iPad is great for portability. I take mine to classes everyday and to coffee shops when studying instead of my MacBook, It does what I need at those times without the weight of the MacBook.

And now my MacBook stays home plugged into a 23" HD monitor for home computing, web surfing. I still use the MacBook everyday, I can't browse the internet and check other things online and in iTunes for more than 20-30 minutes on an iPad.

And no, having both is definitely not overkill. You will find uses for both.
I plan to buy a new MacBook Pro in the near future to replace the MacBook I have, and having the iPad 2 won't effect my decision.

Why can't you browse the web/itunes for more thatn 20-30 mins on the iPad?

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can, but when I'm doing things for that long and that require multiple pages open I'd rather use my computer. Don't get me wrong the iPad is great for web surfing, and using the various forum apps, and everything else. I just prefer to use the computer with mouse, and keyboard to get things done quicker. And if I'm going to be sitting at my desk then I might as well use the computer, but if I'm in the living room or sitting in bed I am definitely using the iPad.

Having a keyboard dock or a bluetooth keyboard for my iPad might help me want to use it more often.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a MBP and an iPad, plus an iMac. Each one has a place in my usage. The iPad goes with me during the day and can do a lot to help me out. And with 3G, it allows me to merge work and home like nothing else. The MBP is for when I need a full computer. I have a laptop bag that has a pocket perfect for my iPad, and on overnight trips, I will take both. My iMac is the hub of my home center. All my periphials are tied to it. As great as the iPad is, it cannot do everything. If you want to play a DVD or CD, if you want to download to a flash drive or card, and if you want to do a lot of keyboard work, the MBP is more convenient.

Most reactions