What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do You PRINT a Document You Have Prepared on the iPad?

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, you have typed up a note in the Note app, or perhaps a document in iWorks or a spread sheet - and now you want to PRINT it.

How do you print something you have prepared on the iPad?

We opeerate on a wireless network at home and have a wireless/Bluetooth printer. That going to be good enough? (Why do I have the feeling it won't?)

Last edited:

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, you have typed up a note in the Note app, or perhaps a document in iWorks or a spread sheet - and now you want to PRINT it.

How do you print something you have prepared on the iPad?

We opeerate on a wireless network at home and have a wireless/Bluetooth printer. That going to be good enough? (Why do I have the feeling it won't?)

I was going to say that you need an AirPrint compatible printer (mostly HP ePrint series at the moment) but it looks like the Note app doesn't have an option to print at the moment. I assume that there will be a fix.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, for myself, having several Epsons and the only one that would work being my large format photo printer.( which I don't use for day to day text printing) I just put in Dropbox from those apps integrated with it (quite a lot now) and open from Dropbox on my main computer and print normally.

Diane B

OP
P

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what are you guys saying - that you simply cannot print something directly from a standalone iPad, by hooking it up with a wireless printer?

What do you do, then? Export somewhere and print from there? Talk to me - I know virtually nothing about an iPad, except that I love it. (Only had it four days.)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pdmike, you can see my answer above. in truth I don't print much except from a dedicated photo printer and I have a nonwireless printer for business text printing but I try very hard to stay as paperless as I can. I have a friend that is printing quite nicely from his Ipad to a wireless HP printer but its not one with the air printer designation. I sent them a link that told them how to set it up using an app from the app store but I don't have that link anymore. Google for printiing with Ipad/4.2.1 and I think you will find the answer.

I have had my Ipad since May and I've gotten to like it increasingly more as I use it every day for quite a bit of time every day. I have found apps to allow me to do most everything I need to do or want to do and some I didn't imagine when I bought it last Spring.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just Google "Airprint any printer". It is a hack for sure, but I am able to print on my HP 5L laser (purchased in 1996) as well as my HP 2410 ink jet printer (probably close to 10 years old). As long as your app supports Airprint, you should be able to print it on any shared printer with a little work.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm using the airprint hack on both mac and win7 desktops as the network printer is an old deskjet.

Prior to the hack I just used to email stuff for printing to myself.
I didn't have much I wanted to print from the iPad so it wasn't that great a chore.
There are a number of apps such as printcentral which may help. Just check the list of supported printers first.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So what are you guys saying - that you simply cannot print something directly from a standalone iPad, by hooking it up with a wireless printer?

What do you do, then? Export somewhere and print from there? Talk to me - I know virtually nothing about an iPad, except that I love it. (Only had it four days.)

AirPrint is the official print solution that came out with iOS 4.2. It usually means buying a new printer, which I did eventually. Most of the compatible printers are HP ePrint at the moment. Once you have the right printer it just works, no drivers to instal etc. Not all apps support AirPrint yet though.

Alternatively, there are various print apps, mostly printing via a Mac or PC, to overcome the driver issue I assume.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using print central to print to my wireless hp that's on my home wireless network...every things printing fine but the only that it will print is anything u find on the web and your emails...what's weird is I can connect to wifi via home network but before I installed print central it could never detect a printer which I clearly have on my network..jus need to be able to print from notes app and pages app...anyone got a list of printers that will work with AirPrint or a link? Thanks!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Mike ~ I write all my reports in Pages and then I email them to myself, and print them from my desk top.

Super fast, and easy.:)

rkelac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using print central to print to my wireless hp that's on my home wireless network...every things printing fine but the only that it will print is anything u find on the web and your emails...what's weird is I can connect to wifi via home network but before I installed print central it could never detect a printer which I clearly have on my network..jus need to be able to print from notes app and pages app...anyone got a list of printers that will work with AirPrint or a link? Thanks!

Using the AirPrint hack, I can print with different shared printer on my network with any AirPrint capable app. Pages, Numbers, GoodReader all work fine.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Correct.

If you have updated to the current version of the OS (you can check in the main screen of iTunes) you can print directly to a small number of new AirPrint capable HP printers. You can also print to printers that your Mac is connected to by sharing your Mac printer. Your Mac needs to be turned on for that to happen.

We Windows users are just screwed. AirPrint for Windows users was dropped from the last version of iTunes just before it was released.

Most folks just e-mail or synch and print from a PC.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Correct.

If you have updated to the current version of the OS (you can check in the main screen of iTunes) you can print directly to a small number of new AirPrint capable HP printers. You can also print to printers that your Mac is connected to by sharing your Mac printer. Your Mac needs to be turned on for that to happen.

We Windows users are just screwed. AirPrint for Windows users was dropped from the last version of iTunes just before it was released.

Most folks just e-mail or synch and print from a PC.

Windows users aren't really screwed, but it does take a little work to get Airprint working. I have the same functionality through my Windows Home Server and Windows 7 that Mac users have.

cadams05

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the most relevant answer ive read. Some answers are referring to a jb ipad. I went out and bought an hp eprint however b4 that i used the email to myself option. There is no stand alone option with the ipad.

Most reactions