What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I link VOB files?

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am trying to convert a "Curious George" dvd for my grandson to install on his iPad 2, but am having some problems. There are a lot of vob files. There are 8 files, each of 15 minute video programs, and one that consists of all of them in one file.

I can convert and transfer the individual files fine, but there is a problem. In cd form, there is a menu which allows one to select any one of the individual programs or the one that plays them all. I can!t figure out how to locate and transfer this file to the iPad---or even if it would work once I did.

Can anyone help?

kobelup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know what video converter you use, you may need to just buy one. I use dvdfab and it works great at converting video files.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Kobelup. I will have a look at your software.

Any other input?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
What you need to do is rip one title at a time. Normally, any dvd ripper will let you rip only one and convert that into desired format. For the iPad, it has to be in MP4

VicoPad addict!

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What you need to do is rip one title at a time. Normally, any dvd ripper will let you rip only one and convert that into desired format. For the iPad, it has to be in MP4

VicoPad addict!

Well----I did that, but I can't find a menu file which links them together.

Does anyone know how to find it, and will it transfer to the iPad?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Heaviside said:

No, you won't have the menu in anything else than a DVD. A menu is actually one of the vob file containing a single image, or an entire video sequence. A special file contains the information relative to the menu configuration, that is kind of overlayed over the vob menu file.

Basically, a DVD has titles and chapters. Those titles and chapters are indexed in a stucture file so that the DVD knows where to start playing when a title or chapter is selected. A menu gives the viewer a way to manually select those starting points.

All you can do is rip those titles into separate files (MP4), give them meaningful file names and put them on your iPad using iTunes.

VicoPad addict!

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heaviside said:

No, you won't have the menu in anything else than a DVD. A menu is actually one of the vob file containing a single image, or an entire video sequence. A special file contains the information relative to the menu configuration, that is kind of overlayed over the vob menu file.

Basically, a DVD has titles and chapters. Those titles and chapters are indexed in a stucture file so that the DVD knows where to start playing when a title or chapter is selected. A menu gives the viewer a way to manually select those starting points.

All you can do is rip those titles into separate files (MP4), give them meaningful file names and put them on your iPad using iTunes.

VicoPad addict!

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm disappointed, of course, but it is good to know that I can stop tilting at windmills!

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Let me ask a similar question, but one in a broader context: is it possible to rip an exact image of a dvd and transfer the result to the iPad so that it will play?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Heaviside said:
Let me ask a similar question, but one in a broader context: is it possible to rip an exact image of a dvd and transfer the result to the iPad so that it will play?

No, you will still have to select the titles to rip, being the main feature, commentaries, extras...

VicoPad addict!

Most reactions

Latest posts