What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I delete an app and have it stay deleted?

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded an app (scene it Movie trivia) but after playing for awhile I didn't really like it so I then deleted it off of my iPad and my apps folder in iTunes. However, now every time I connect to the iTunes store it tries to re-download the app. I stop the download and tell it to delete it but it comes back every single time. How do I get iTunes to stop this?

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've done this, but I think all you need to do is uncheck it in iTunes. When the iPad is connected, look for the apps tab, and then just uncheck whichever app you don't want.

OP
A

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I already deleted it off the iPad, that's not the problem. The problem is every time I open iTunes on my computer it tries to re-download the app onto my computer. I don't want it on my computer anymore than I want it on my iPad.

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand you already deleted it from the iPad, but you may have an option enabled that will transfer apps from iTunes to the iPad. Even though you're deleting it off the device. I remember I had a similar problem when I first got the iPhone 3GS. The reason why I'm so foggy with the details is because since I realized it then, I haven't had a problem since.

I'll check it out on my system when I get home.

OP
A

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may have to let if finish downloading before it can be deleted. I know, a pain.

Well that sucks. One of the reasons I got sick of the app was the 2 plus hours it took to download it and update it. It seemed to need a new update every week and it wasn't worth the time it took. I guess I'll have to set up iTunes to download it before going to bed tonight.

I really hope it stays deleted this time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is probably another way, but since I don't have the problem to experiment with I can't offer any help beyond what I know works. Sorry.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I understand you already deleted it from the iPad, but you may have an option enabled that will transfer apps from iTunes to the iPad. Even though you're deleting it off the device. I remember I had a similar problem when I first got the iPhone 3GS. The reason why I'm so foggy with the details is because since I realized it then, I haven't had a problem since.

I'll check it out on my system when I get home.

I'm familiar with this, but also quite fuzzy. I believe in iTunes under the device "Apps" tab there should be a checkbox under the app icon which when unchecked will prevent it from reappearing on the iPad. Since the poet did not seem to confirm it, I am unsure though.

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just went through this tonight since it was my first sync since my initial one. Anyway, I was able to transfer apps I purchased on the iPad to iTunes (and remove apps from the iTunes library) by going to that apps tab when the device is connected.

The check box, as alluded to, is at the bottom of the list of apps on that tab.

OP
A

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My problem is not it reappearing on the iPad, the iPad seems to realize I deleted it and don't want it anymore. It is itunes on my computer that hasn't seem to have got the message.

I deleted it off of iTunes on my computer but it seems to think I didn't want to actually delete it and it keeps acting like I made a new purchase or something

I will see if letting it re-download and deleting again will fix the problem. I certainly hope so because I don't want to deal with this app any more:mad:

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
info said:
I'm familiar with this, but also quite fuzzy. I believe in iTunes under the device "Apps" tab there should be a checkbox under the app icon which when unchecked will prevent it from reappearing on the iPad. Since the poet did not seem to confirm it, I am unsure though.

I don't belive the OP is having problems with keeping it off the iPad, but that it won't stop trying to download in iTunes on the computer. Maybe I'm missreading that. Anyway, i've never had any luck convincing iTunes to give up on downloading something once it gets into the queue. No matter how many times you abort and delete the partial download it just starts it over the next time it checks the store.

The only way I've ever been able to deal with it was to let the dowload finish, then delete the file. I'm almost certain there should be a way, but the method eludes me. Well, you could probably call Apple and have them remove it from the queue, but I'd rater deal with it myself.

Edit: I see I took so long typing that the OP has already clarified the point. :0

krishrc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to delete a app,which is a uninstalled in iPad.I tried it for install a 20mb app thru 3G,but it asking for wifi to install such a app?
Some one help me out

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I decide to delete completely an app ,I go to App ( obviously...) delete it and then I am asked if I want to keep it in the library or put it in the trash. When put in the trash , I have never had a problem with it coming back from there...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to delete a app,which is a uninstalled in iPad.I tried it for install a 20mb app thru 3G,but it asking for wifi to install such a app?
Some one help me out

This is an Apple-imposed restriction and there's nothing that you can do about it on a non-jailbroken iPad. For some reason, Apple restrict downloads of apps, music and movies to 20MB (it used to be 10 MB in the 'early days') - I think that Apple need dragging, kicking and screaming, into modern mobile communications. They clearly have little idea about how rapidly mobile - cellular - communications is advancing.

Tim

Most reactions