What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I convert a DVD to iPad?

Birdy1210

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I was bought the Soprano’s DVD box set for Xmas and I’m trying to convert a couple of the DVD’s to my iPad as would like to watch it on the train to work.

I’ve downloaded Handbrake and VLC Media Player and have managed to covert one of the DVD’s to an MP4. However, when I open it in iTunes the picture is all scrambled.

I’ve tried 3 difference presets including Universal, iPad and Apple Video but all are producing the same scrambled picture.

Any help with this matter is much appreciated.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Thanks

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I was bought the Soprano’s DVD box set for Xmas and I’m trying to convert a couple of the DVD’s to my iPad as would like to watch it on the train to work.

I’ve downloaded Handbrake and VLC Media Player and have managed to covert one of the DVD’s to an MP4. However, when I open it in iTunes the picture is all scrambled.

I’ve tried 3 difference presets including Universal, iPad and Apple Video but all are producing the same scrambled picture.

Any help with this matter is much appreciated.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Thanks

First of all, welcome to the Forum. I hope you enjoy your iPad - OK, when you get over this problem!! When you say the picture is scrambled 'when I open it in iTunes', do you mean open it on your PC or on the iPad?

Sorry - I've almost certainly screwed up here and misunderstood your post - it's a habit of mine ;-)

Let us know - don't get frustrated if you don't get an answe right away - Forum members are all over the world and it can sometimes take a few hours before the replies start rolling in.....

Tim
Scotland

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Software needed & FREE:
Free and powerful DVDFab software = DVDfab HD Decryptor - Video Decryptor - used to copy video files - located @ middle of page - Removes all the protections (CSS, RC, RCE, APS, UOPs and Sony ARccOS) while copying. It also comes with full HD-DVD and Blu-Ray support (Removes AACS).

When done you should have multiple .vob files @ 1gb chunks then use handbrake to join and convert files for ipad.

Hope this helps.

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on this but I use Handbrake to convert DVD's to itunes. From there I'm sure you can get it to the ipad. I don't do that, I just watch the DVD's on my Apple TV and use the ipad as a remote.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
The scrambling comes from the DVD ripping. On my Ubuntu desktop, I wanted to rip one of my DVD and to do things faster, I copied the vob files directly on my hard drive and then using handbrake to convert those into mp4 files. The results was scrambled movies.

But if I let handbrake rip the DVD itself, then the output is working as expected. I don't know if you would have the same problem in windows or Mac, but you cannot simply copy the files locally as the transcoder won't know that those files are protected.

And in the end, the transcoding is not going any faster by using files directly on the hard drive, the overall time is essentially the same.

PvtMatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DVD to iPad converter

Software needed & FREE:
Free and powerful DVDFab software = DVDfab HD Decryptor - Video Decryptor - used to copy video files - located @ middle of page - Removes all the protections (CSS, RC, RCE, APS, UOPs and Sony ARccOS) while copying. It also comes with full HD-DVD and Blu-Ray support (Removes AACS).

When done you should have multiple .vob files @ 1gb chunks then use handbrake to join and convert files for ipad.

Hope this helps.
Wow! $80 bucks? Too rich for my blood.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Software needed & FREE:

Hope this helps.
Wow! $80 bucks? Too rich for my blood.

Where do you see 80$...
DVDFab HD Decrypter. Free to Decrypt DVD and Blu-ray, free to Copy DVD and Blu-ray.

Last edited:

saguaro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WinX Bluray DVD iPad Ripper. On sale at the moment for $19.95.

Lynette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use magic DVD ripper. Cost 39.00. Love it. Just put in the DVD and pick what output(iPod, iPad etc). Press start. Put in iTunes and sync.

PamEnamel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.pameast.net
I'm trying Handbrake and I've got a question. So far I have put a DVD in my computer, launched Handbrake, and selected the "ipad" preset. Then I chose the source (no trouble finding the movie) and clicked start. It's now encoding...

Here's the question... Time remaining is 7 hours and 18 minutes! For a two hour movie! Is that normal????

Going to bed now... Hopefully this thing will finish up by morning.

Pam

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use DFDFab for both Bluray and DVD ripping/conversion. You have to pay for it yet it's a single step one hour process. When done you just add the file to iTunes etc.

treker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying Handbrake and I've got a question. So far I have put a DVD in my computer, launched Handbrake, and selected the "ipad" preset. Then I chose the source (no trouble finding the movie) and clicked start. It's now encoding...

Here's the question... Time remaining is 7 hours and 18 minutes! For a two hour movie! Is that normal????

Going to bed now... Hopefully this thing will finish up by morning.

Pam

Or you could run a fast hexacore pc and get it done in 20mins as I do. :) And you wouldn't have to run your computer overnight saving engery:)

Most reactions

Latest posts