What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I change the avatar photo in iMessage?

davidlones365

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad (1st gen) set up in our living room and I created a separate Apple ID for iMessage and the app/iTunes store. My personal ID is set up for iCloud, backups, home sharing, and for the stuff thats already on there (it use to be my own original iPad, I now have an iPad 2 for personal use). I want to be able contact that iPad when I'm away to check up on family. One small problem though, (and its really just about ascetics)... the little avatar photo somehow got set to my photo, the one from my account, and I can't seem to find a way to change it.

pats300zx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a entry in my contacts with my name and my email own email addresses that I frequently use. I just changed my picture in my contacts and it immediately changed in ICloud.

OP
davidlones365

davidlones365

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a entry in my contacts with my name and my email own email addresses that I frequently use. I just changed my picture in my contacts and it immediately changed in ICloud.

The house iPads iMessage email has it's own seperate contact entry, with its own photo. Changing that does nothing, but changing my personal contact entry photo changes both my iPads and the house iPads avatar photo at the same time. (??????? !!!)

Yeezybabyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go into your contacts and the photo you set to your number is the picture for your iMessage just change the photo and it'll change. Your welcome!! :thumbs:

[Moderator edit: The font size & color on this post was changed ... it hurt to try to read it....]

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
davidlones365

davidlones365

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Yeezybabyy
...umm, sorry. If you've read this thread, then you would know that advice does not help!!!

Thanks anyway!

Last edited:

john1325

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Settings->Mail Contacts Calendars->Contacts->My Info

Change the name that is listed here and your problem will be solved.

OP
davidlones365

davidlones365

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first time I tried that, it switched back to my old profile on its own. (again, ??!?!?!??) The second time seems to have worked. Thanks.
(If I have any more problems, I post an update.)

OP
davidlones365

davidlones365

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update ...it's still not working right!!!!!

It turns out changing that setting automatically changed the default "my info" on ALL devices, even my Mac!!! AHHH!!!!
(Why do we even have the option to use multiple accounts on one device if it's not really supported and will screw things up???)

Last edited:

annluchsinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! To change the image you are using on your iMessage go into your photos, select the image you want to use... Edit/ crop etc then use the arrow at top right and it will show options... select the contacts icon, now find your name ... and select it! That should do the trick! Now go back and whooLa done :) Happy New Year.. (I have the iPad 2)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It turns out changing that setting automatically changed the default "my info" on ALL devices, even my Mac!!! AHHH!!!!
(Why do we even have the option to use multiple accounts on one device if it's not really supported and will screw things up???)

What do you mean by "multiple accounts"? As far as I know idevices are single person, single account devices. While you can share an iPad, it is only set up to see a single account with a single apple id. And when you work across devices using the same apple Id, things like settings follow you from device to device.

Most reactions

Latest posts