What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can you create new Photo Album ?

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Till now I ignored the native photo application of iPAD, But then I watch the Video guide from Apple :
Apple - iPad - Guided Tours
and decided to check it out.
But then I realized that There does not seem to be a way to create new albums.
I have 2 albums and that's it.
Also I noticed that the application in the apple movie looks different from mine :
It has additional fields I can't find.
Does it work only with MAC iPhoto ?

Am I missing something, or is it Apple ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 342

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is very easy to create photo albums. All you have to do is create a folder on your computer for your pictures and separate your pictures into your folders as required. Then when you plug in your iPad, you can select the folders you just created and each folder will show up on your iPad as a different album.

itunes11.jpg

OP
peled

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well It works

Thanks 1991-C4
Go figure..

I played with it and as I feared, that Apple SYNC is a real time bomb.
You need to have a duplicate of all your photos in the same location on the PC. for ever !!!
If you sync the albums and for some reason you don't "tic" one of the folders, iTune will erase that album from your iPAD !!

It is not like with normal pc where you transfer the photos and you forget about it. You can't erase them from the PC, since the next time you want to create a new album from the last trip from Zimbabwean... If the old folders are gone - the pictures on the iPAD are gone for ever.
So in reality you can't put the new album in, since it will cause the old one's to disappear.

Are those people at Apple so stupid or that is the apple way of doing things.
And way do they create a new folder name "iPod Photo Cache" that has yet another duplicate of all the pictures in some special ithmb format. Dubbling the space of the photos on the PC.

Applications involve money - So OK they build the iTune to protect the money. But Pictures are private - no money here.

And what about those bottoms I can't see on MY ipad ?
Any Idea ? Is it because now I am with 4.2.1 which is different ?

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with you Peled, that it sounds stupid.

You can organize your photos and folders/albums on your computer and ever mobile phones (mine being a Nokia), and you can ever organize and sort your own actual real world photos into albums. Yet you can't do that on the iPad. So if you want to organize your photos into groups, you have to do that on the computer first then sync them to your iPad as 1991-C4's suggestion rather than to organize on the move.

Sometimes I do wonder if any members of Apple staff do actually read any feedback and suggest to Mr Jobs they should improve their iOS to allow us to get what we want to do, as far as I know, I don't think anyone from Apple would read anything we say on the Internet, so they won't be passing on memos to the programmers.

Before 1991-C4 posted his suggestion here, I already partly heard something similar somewhere else and partly figure it out myself, so had to do that on home computer.

I'm using Windows 98, but what I am about to say can apply to any computers, as far as I know, ever Mac.

First in your usual user's folder, something like "My Documents" on Win98 or something similar on any other later Windows or Mac OS, you just create a folder and label it "iPad Photos"

Or create whatever folder name you wish, something like "For downloading to iPad", "Photos for transfer to iPad" or anything like that.

Then under this one, you create folders/albums as you see fit, something like...

My Computer
...My Documents
......iPad Photos
.........Family photos
.........Holiday photos
.........My own wallpapers for iPad
.........Naughty photos
.........Photos needed for Bento
.........Photos of friends

Then as per 1991-C4's suggestion, next to the the "Sync Photos from" part, is a drop down box, go to the folder on your computer's hard drive where you know you created folders you want to transfer to iPad, in this example, the "iPad Photos" under My Documents or wherever you created.

Note: "Photos needed for Bento" is an example of any photos you need to group together to download to your iPad to use for any apps you are using, it could be photos of your things you need to paste into your Numbers, your iWorks, Bento, whatever apps you may need.

Last edited:
OP
peled

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Then as per 1991-C4's suggestion, next to the the "Sync Photos from" part, is a drop down box, go to the folder on your computer's hard drive where you know you created folders you want to transfer to iPad, in this example, the "iPad Photos" under My Documents or wherever you created.

Note: "Photos needed for Bento" is an example of any photos you need to group together to download to your iPad to use for any apps you are using, it could be photos of your things you need to paste into your Numbers, your iWorks, Bento, whatever apps you may need.

Sorry.
I didn't follow what you mean.
Do you have some work around ? It seems to me you just repeated 1991-C4 suggestion.

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sorry.
I didn't follow what you mean.
Do you have some work around ? It seems to me you just repeated 1991-C4 suggestion.

Sorry if I fail to make my meaning clear.

Look at 1991-C4’s screenshot of the iTunes. You’ll see he put a ring around "Sync Photos from" now look to the right, you’ll see a box saying "Pictures"

I am guessing that is a Mac OS, and I figure if using Windows XP or later, it would be likely to say "My Pictures", either way, those folders tend to be found under "My Documents" (or whatever it is Mac OS use).

Supposing on your computer, you have far too many folders, under the Pictures or My Pictures folder, you may have something like...

My Documents
My Pictures
Airshow
Animals
Anna’s Wedding Day
Birthday Surprise
Dog Show
Holiday in France
Holiday in South Africa

It could go on. What if you don’t want to have all the folders on your iPad, so you can select "Selected folders" and tick whichever folders you want copied to your iPad as seen in the screenshot showing examples like 2006-01 (Jan-13); 50 Year Pin; Album Art; and so on.

I was trying to explain that there is another method which you can do first before you follow 1991-C4’s advice.

First, you go to your computer’s folders, (since I have Windows 98 and don’t really know what do Mac OS have, I’m speaking based on Windows, but I’m sure you know what I mean and it can applies to later Windows or Mac.) Under whatever root folder you use to store all your own files, in the case of Windows 98, it would be under "My Documents" You create a folder specially for your iPad, by calling it something like "For iPad only" or whatever you see fit.

Then under iPad folder, you create folders (AKA albums) as you please, folders/albums for family photos, holiday photos, wallpapers, whatever you want. You copy any photos you have to those folders. Maybe you don’t want to have all photos transferred from your computer to your iPad but you only want some photos, so copy some photos to the folders under iPad.

When you feel the folders/albums for your iPad is the way you want it to be. Hook up your iPad, open iTunes, and in the photos section, to the right of the "Sync Photos from", in the box, you select the "For iPad only" or whatever filename you gave to the folder.

That way, you can just sync all folders in one go rather than to have to select each folders you want to sync.

I’ll try to grab some screenshots later if you want me to show you.

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a screenshot of my Windows Explorer.

I created "Folders sync to iPad" under Stage 3. (Stage 1 usually tend to be dumping grounds for any photos I took with my camera, Stage 2 is where I do editing work, and once done, files gets moved to Stage 3 which is where they're ready for burning to CD-R or uploaded to Internet.)

In the "Folders sync to iPad", I created folders specially for iPad only, which once synced to iPad becomes albums. Each folders contents only a hand picked photos. Usually copied from my main folders left on my computer. I don't want to download all photos from every folders under my root folders, so I just create specific folders and pick specific photos only.

"Photos for Bento" is mostly a folder contents photos which I want to import into Bento for iPad, a database app. Once I have imported the photos into the database, I will delete the folder off my computer so that when I sync the iPad, hopefully the album on the iPad gets deleted too. "Photos for Internet" contents just some photos that I keep handy in case I want to upload to Internet, like images I want to use as avatars.

I find this option much easier as it means I make sure I have folders which will be the correct albums on iPad, and each folders contents photos I want to be downloaded to iPad.

When sync the iPad, as per 1991-C4's example, I don't use "Pictures" (or in my case, being Windows 98, make that "My Documents") and then select each folders I want, knowing that any folders I select is likely to download every photos within the folder.

Attachments

• for iPad forum.jpg
    for iPad forum.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 494
OP
peled

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It 's OK
The Folder name and Issue was never an issue.
I just opened in Windows 7 a folder named iPAD Photos, Directly on the Root of the drive ( Partition D: in that case), and under it some more folders.

Nothing to it.
My concern was the Additional folder iTune creats, and some other potential "time BOMBs"

Bottom line iTune Sync for photos is good for temp slideshow.
Need to look for something better for a permanent usage.

Most reactions