What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can i update IOS 4.2.1 to 4.3.3 on IPAD1

chris38

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am a new to this Ipad forum.

I bought recently an IPAD 1 64Go wifi with the ios 4.2.1

I would like to update to 4.3.3 but Itunes always offer to to update to lastest version ios 5.

I tried to put the IPD in DFU mode and and select the IPSw 4.3.3 that i downloaded previously on internet but after starting i am getting the error message that my ipad is not eligible to this version.

I am using Itunes 10.1

Please any solutions? [Moderator edit: Removed personal e-mail address. Read the rules, please.]

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You cannot load iOS 4.3.3 on any iPad unless you have SHSH blobs saved for that version. Cannot. Ever.

However, I am going to assume you bought the iPad1 used. In that case, maybe the previous owner jail broke it. So, you can download the Tiny Umbrella software and use it to check to see if your SHSH blobs have been saved by the previous owner.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-your-ipad-using-tinyumbrella-shsh-blobs.html

Read it through and then follow the instructions to use Tiny Umbrella to see if you have saved SHSH blobs in Cydia (the jail breaker's app store). If you do have the SHSH blobs for iOS 4.3.3, then you can put that version on there and you're good to jailbreak (the sticky will help in that process, too).

If it turns out you don't have the SHSH blobs, then your only hope for a jail break is to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 and then use redsn0w to jail break it tethered. See this sticky: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...tutorial-jailbreak-ipad1-redsn0w-windows.html

I've used that method for my iPad1 and, although it is tethered, I've had no troubles with it.

Hope this helps. Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
C

chris38

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn,

Thank a lot for your info, it really helps me to find out that tinyumbrella does not have the SHSH blobs.
I only have the one for Ipad 5.0.1 :(

May i ask you new questions because you seems to be expert, and even if internet is great because we can find a lot of info, it's usually difficult to find really what we are looking for because too much info, kills info.

I found the procedure to JB it at this software version 4.2.1 so
1- is there big difference between 4.2.1 and 4.3.3?
2- if i do JB on 4.2.1 can i up-grade the IOS 4.2.1 to 4.3.3?

I am sorry my questions seem to be stupid or redundant but i am really lost with "SHSH to save and need to connect to Itunes to be able to up-grade/downgrade firmware". For me a firmware is a piece of software that we download into the rom of your device....

Anyway thanks in advance for your teaching.

Thanks a lot.

Chris

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chris

Let me get this part out of the way first: No matter what - without those SHSH blobs for iOS 4.3.3, you can NEVER go to that iOS. Never. Whether you jailbreak it first on iOS 4.2.1 or not.

And, I apologize for reading your post wrong and making an assumption. I assumed you were wanting to jailbreak.

Regardless, the only thing you can do with that iPad1 is either leave it on iOS 4.2.1 or upgrade it to iOS 5.0.1.

Just be aware that in order to upgrade the iPad to iOS 5.0.1, you must first install the latest version of iTunes, which is 10.5 right now.

And, only you can decide if it’s worth it to upgrade. I can only tell you that I find iOS 5 to be a pretty cool version - with lots of upgrades and changes. It’s far more advanced than iOS 4.x.

Good luck with your decision.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts