What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Can I Text a non-IPhone?

IPADAlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just getting started with IPad2 (IOS 7), and specifically IMessage.

I'm trying to send a text to someone who does not have an IPhone. When I try this in IMessage, I get a message that the recipient's phone number is not registered with IMmessage and therefore it won't send my text.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but can someone please tell me how I can get around this and text friends who aren't fortunate enough to own Apple devices?

Thanks for any help!

Alan

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You only can send messages to Apple devices with your iPad.
To send texts/messages to friends with other devices, you'll need an app like Google Hangouts (Gmail accounts only). There are also free texting apps in App Store, that will let you send SMS to non-Apple devices. A search for "free sms" will bring up some you certainly can use with an iPad.

Last edited:
OP
I

IPADAlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, J.A., for responding! I appreciate it! You've answered my question (though I admit I'm surprised there's no way within IMessenger to do this).

One final question, please: one of my contacts has an Iphone. He uses IMessenger all the time, but when I try to text him I get an error that says his phone isn't registered with IMessenger. Is there a workaround for this? Thanks again! Alan

You only can send messages to Apple devices with your iPad.
To send texts/messages to friends with other devices, you'll need an app like Google Hangouts (Gmail accounts only). There are also free texting apps in App Store, that will let you send SMS to non-Apple devices. A search for "free sms" will bring up some you certainly can use with an iPad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Look through your settings (Settings - iMessage):
Is iMessage enabled?
Is your email address/Apple ID enabled there (Send & Receive)?
Is your friend blocked?

Last edited:
OP
I

IPADAlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again, Johanna.

Yes, IMessage is enabled, and I use it to text others.

We don't have anyone blocked.

For what it's worth, this particular friend doesn't seem to be able to IMessage us either...

Alan

Look through your settings (Settings - iMessage):
Is iMessage enabled?
Is your email address/Apple ID enabled there (Send & Receive)?
Is your friend blocked?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it's because of this friend's setup that it doesn't work.
Also, since iOS 7, there were problems with iMessage and Facetime. That may also be a reason why you can't send messages to each other.
What you could try both, if the settings are okay, is to disable it, then enable it again.

Further suggestion:
Disable iMessages as described before. Then go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings. You have to set up Wi-Fi (and cellular data, if you use an iPad with 3G/4G) again, then enable iMessages.

Last edited:
OP
I

IPADAlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again, Johanna, I will try that.:)

Alan

Maybe it's because of this friend's setup that it doesn't work.
Also, since iOS 7, there were problems with iMessage and Facetime. That may also be a reason why you can't send messages to each other.
What you could try both, if the settings are okay, is to disable it, then enable it again.

Further suggestion:
Disable iMessages as described before. Then go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings. You have to set up Wi-Fi (and cellular data, if you use an iPad with 3G/4G) again, then enable iMessages.

Most reactions

Latest posts