What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How bright are you ?

Ry2mkk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Playing with my iPad 3 toda and was noticing how good the battery is , I can charge my iPad over night and it just lasts ....lol I play games for 20 mins at a time, always connected to wifi ( phones wifi hotspot ) browse the web often take pics watch back clips I've recorded...it's amazing

So to all you ipaddies out there what brightness do you keep yours on ? Mine currently ( double press home button and scroll left ) just to the left of the sun icon so I imagine below 50%, seems bright and clear enough for me lol.

Does anyone actually use 100% brightness , for me it just feels like overkill lol

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always use 100 brightness because I'm plugged into the mains about 8 hours a day every day.

You may want to reconsider your reasons for running on 100%. Even when you are 'running on mains' the iPad still runs off battery and just continuously recharges the battery - so it will not make your battery last any longer in terms of recharge cycles.

I run at 60-70% because I find the screen has the most pleasant picture at that level.

OP
R

Ry2mkk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would running at 100% cause the screen any long term effects ? Like burn in ect ?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
You may want to reconsider your reasons for running on 100%. Even when you are 'running on mains' the iPad still runs off battery and just continuously recharges the battery - so it will not make your battery last any longer in terms of recharge cycles.

I run at 60-70% because I find the screen has the most pleasant picture at that level.

Reconsider? What for?. Why would I not want to run on 100%? To me this level is optimum. Personal preference. Couldn't care less about battery charge. Won't make the battery last any more or less.

Ry2 - screen burn isn't an iPad issue

OP
R

Ry2mkk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So no I'll affects of running the screen at 100% , oh cool didn't know that

kitkat3709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ry2mkk said:
Playing with my iPad 3 toda and was noticing how good the battery is , I can charge my iPad over night and it just lasts ....lol I play games for 20 mins at a time, always connected to wifi ( phones wifi hotspot ) browse the web often take pics watch back clips I've recorded...it's amazing

So to all you ipaddies out there what brightness do you keep yours on ? Mine currently ( double press home button and scroll left ) just to the left of the sun icon so I imagine below 50%, seems bright and clear enough for me lol.

Does anyone actually use 100% brightness , for me it just feels like overkill lol

I'm running my iPad at 48%.

Sent from my iPad2 32 3G Black :)

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So no I'll affects of running the screen at 100% , oh cool didn't know that

It will not break the tablet - except it will discharge your batteries faster - giving you more discharge cycles per year. Not a huge problem for most people as they will generally replace their tablet long before their batteries become unusable. Even running it at 100% brighness, CPU, read write cycles on the FLASH memory, etc... your tablet should still last a good long time.

Also most people use the device as a mobile device, and getting a few more hours out of the batteries per day by lowering your screen brightness from nauseating to normal may be the better way for most people to go.

No one runs their TV at 100% brightness because it does not look natural - same with the iPad. Though tablets are subjected to more extreme conditions so I am not saying there is no circumstance where running it at 100% brightness is warranted.

jimmy23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
50% brightness!

 Sent from my iPad 32gb (3rd generation) using iPF  Add me on dragonvale please! GC - james_oc_24 ⚡

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You need to qualify whether or not you are using auto brightness or not. I can get by with 50% with auto brightness off, but require a higher setting with it on.

My boss once commented he didn't think I had it bright enough.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to qualify whether or not you are using auto brightness or not. I can get by with 50% with auto brightness off, but require a higher setting with it on.

My boss once commented he didn't think I had it bright enough.

True dat. I have auto-brightness on with a 60% setting - you are right, with auto-bright off 50% is likely good for most circumstances.

virginblue4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have auto brightness on and have it set at 100%. The colours don't look unnatural as someone has said. And I wouldn't say it's overkill. Always have my devices at 100%.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Completely agree. There is no 'unnatural' about it. It's ALL personal taste. I have my main computer monitors calibrated to almost full brightness and contrast. For me it's optimum, and being a graphics animator that gives me best output.

L

Lunar

Completely agree. There is no 'unnatural' about it. It's ALL personal taste. I have my main computer monitors calibrated to almost full brightness and contrast. For me it's optimum, and being a graphics animator that gives me best output.

Optimum is when dark grey levels are barely visible. For inside I find with auto off 40/45% is plenty bright enough for me, and importantly it also happens to the around the optimum setting too.for me anyway.. But each to their own, whatever make's them happy is ok with me..lol In bright sunshine I would think one would probably be needing near 100% brightness, but I would rarely use mine outside in bright sunlight.

I dont, think running at 100% would do to much harm, though their may be a possibility that long periods at 100% may cause premature pixel failure due to mosfet film devices running at full current, which has to have the effect of generating more heat from the device..jmo

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions