What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Made case -- iPad Under Water

ipadmaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone here is my homemade waterproof iPad case

It was very scary testing it out

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/ZooGueBROKEtoRICH#p/a/u/0/xIAp9F2A9sI]YouTube - ZooGueBROKEtoRICH's Channel[/ame]

Enjoy
Thanks
Tim Angel

LeeB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just remember: there are zip lock bags, and then there are ZIP lock bags. The ones with the slide lock could leak ... the single line zip is pretty secure, but they make freezer bags that have 2 zip lines. The bag is a little thicker, but it's much more secure.

Once upon a time, I used to go canoeing ... I found that zip lock bags are your friend! They come in all sizes, and will help keep things dry. I wouldn't want to try diving with it, but for keeping splashes and sudden (shallow water) submersions from damaging electronics, there's nothing better than zip lock bags. Great for sitting pool-side, too. Or getting caught in the rain.

One other thing: if you're just trying to avoid "splash", squeeze the air out of the bag before it's "locked" all the way and it makes it easier to handle. If you're out in water and think you may drop it (or capsize!), LEAVE air in the bag: it will help make it more buoyant and float to the surface so you can find it.

Thanks for posting your idea. It's one of those forehead slapping "Duh! Why didn't *I* think of that?" tips.

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great job Niel Armstrong! You nearly sacraficed your iPad life for the betterment of others!- LOL Thanks for doing so, now we know the outcome. Appreciate it my friend.

Cathie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That saves me from spending the $25 I was going to spend on a Trendydigital waterproof bag I was about to buy!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That saves me from spending the $25 I was going to spend on a Trendydigital waterproof bag I was about to buy!

Would you really trust a ziplock bag for more than just a youtube video?

A good waterproof solution would be one that is vacuum sealed and also has a melted seal that you peel off and toss when your done...that way it would be waterproof and would still keep its form factor. Like a shrink wrap.

LeeB

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Would you really trust a ziplock bag for more than just a youtube video?

A good waterproof solution would be one that is vacuum sealed and also has a melted seal that you peel off and toss when your done...that way it would be waterproof and would still keep its form factor. Like a shrink wrap.

Ooooo! Even BETTER! And I have one on my counter, too!

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim, you sir, are nuts! When's the zoogue coming out btw? I haven't bought a leather case yet waiting for yours. Dying to get my hands on it!

XERO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scary...but title caught my eye. Don't think I'd try this anytime soon...unless for some reason I'm caught in a freak flash flood or something weird like that and I need a quick protector against the water. Hopefully not tho.

Most reactions

Latest posts