What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi to the iPAD Forum: getting text to the iPad

zenonp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a non-Mac user I am an outsider in several respects -- it's amazing how much we take for granted in a software environment and how different options seem user-friendly to different people. I have spent many hours getting to know my iPad 2 and there are still many things that seem opaque to me. The latest is my newly purchased Pages app. It says it can read word documents but I can't get it to read anything. I was going to try it out on the iPAD user guide so I transfered the guide from my computer to the iPad -- about 3 times -- and still can't find it on the iPad. If I found it I suppose I could tag it to be opened by Pages but I have no idea where it is. If I had brought it in from iTunes it would have appeared in iBooks but I already have it on my desktop and (I assume) in my iTunes and even on my iPad, but where?

Thanks for looking after a newby.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a non-Mac user I am an outsider in several respects -- it's amazing how much we take for granted in a software environment and how different options seem user-friendly to different people. I have spent many hours getting to know my iPad 2 and there are still many things that seem opaque to me. The latest is my newly purchased Pages app. It says it can read word documents but I can't get it to read anything. I was going to try it out on the iPAD user guide so I transfered the guide from my computer to the iPad -- about 3 times -- and still can't find it on the iPad. If I found it I suppose I could tag it to be opened by Pages but I have no idea where it is. If I had brought it in from iTunes it would have appeared in iBooks but I already have it on my desktop and (I assume) in my iTunes and even on my iPad, but where?

Thanks for looking after a newby.

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

The version of the iPad Users Guide you download from Apple's site is a PDF file. While Pages can export PDF files, it can not import them. This is true of most word processing programs, even on the desktop. Pages can import it's own format (.pages), Microsoft Word (.doc), and plain text (.txt). It exports in .pages, .doc, and .pdf.

PDF files are usually read-only files. There are exceptions, but the most common reason to export as a pdf is to create a read-only file that can be read on almost any computer or device.

Besides iBooks, there are several apps that will read PDF files.

http://help.apple.com/iwork/1.3/safari/#tan7248917d

Most reactions

Latest posts