What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi! I'm new to the iPaD

Amcjay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad yesterday and while I am thrilled to a part of the iPad world I am having difficulties I hope the forum can assist with.

I usually sync my iPhone with my desktop but since it is getting old and I am travelling quite a bit I decided to switch to my laptop. But none of my contacts entered the iPad and none of my downloaded/purchased apps did either.

My laptop is supposedly identified as an "authorized computer" so what is the problem? How can I get my apps?

Thanks,
AMcJay

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I understand correctly...you may need to sync the ipad to old pc so all contacts and apps are transferred to ipad. Then hook ipad up to laptop and open itunes to sync and I believe then you'll be promtped to transfer apps/contacts from ipad onto laptop.

But if I'm wrong hopefully other member's will chime in....

Personally I use DiskAid for what itunes does but more. I can copy my voice mail/sms/contacts amongst others...

Ohhhhhh and welcome to the forums....

Last edited:
Reaction score
You will have to copy over your apps/contacts from the desktop to laptop, this part is not done automatically. When you authorize iTunes with your account, I means that iTunes is allowed to play/run any content bought with that account, but you still need to add the content manually.

As the previous poster suggested, could you redownload the apps, though depending on the amount of apps this may not be a readable solution. But you could also copy the apps folder from your desktop to the laptop and then I port that folder into iTunes.

Regarding contacts. It depends on how you currently store contacts, if you use outlook, you could export the contact list, then import on your laptop and tell iTunes to synchronize your iPad with outlook. Another option is to setup a gmail account on your phone, sync gmail with all contacts and then setup the same gmail account on your iPad.

Edit: OUTL4W's solution seems to be the easiest one and requires very little user input.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Thanks to the previous poster...a great idea...

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't forget you need to go into iTunes on the new computer and authorize it. You'll find the option under the Store menu.

When you are done with one of the solutions here, you will may want to go into iTunes on the old computer and de-authorize it. You only get to authorize 5 computers with iTunes, and it is possible you may want that slot later. Assuming you don't wan to keep using that machine to play iTunes music and video. If you do, leave it authorized. That's what the slot is for.

Most reactions

Latest posts