What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, I am Karyn...

karynl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI all,

I am new here, and hoping to allay some of my frustrations with itunes and the ipad. It seems like Apple didn't really design their software for people with multiple Macs and locations. I am on my second gen iPad, and most of my frustration comes from thinking I should be able to accomplish stuff from whichever computer I am on at the time. I want to be able to buy software from my work computer, for instance, and get it onto my ipad. I just bought a $40 program and it shows up in my library, but it says I can only sync to one computer, and it won't let me drag-copy it to the ipad.

Would it be so difficult to make it possible to download something straight to the ipad, and bypass the offending non-synced computer? Do I have to jailbreak my ipad to get the kind of flexibility I want? I love my devices, but I work all the time, and don't have much time to read my manuals or do in-depth research on how to get one single task accomplished! And if I connect via an Internet Cafe, am I never going to be able to buy anything and load it to the ipad? I have 3G but these larger apps will not download without Wifi or a direct internet connection.

I am hoping this forum will help me get to Power User status QUICK, so I can get back to being productive. :>)

Okay, I guess its not unusual for a newbie's first communication to be a rant, but thanks all for any help you can offer, and I look forward to being able to contribute, as well. :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

I saw the problems that you were having. There's absolutely no need whatsoever to download apps, music, videos etc via a PC or Mac. All of them can be downloaded directly to your iPad. I connected my iPad to my PC Day 1 (no other choice) but I've never connected it since. I download apps directly to my iPad via the iPad's App Store app and I download music and movies directly to my iPad via the iPad's iTunes app. No hassle at all. I am taking a risk because I have no backup - though apps can be downloaded multiple times without paying again, I'd have to pay for music and videos if I don't back them up to my PC - but there's certainly no need to download them to the PC first of all.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
K

karynl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help managing multiple libraries and devices!

Direct downloading has worked for me for smaller apps, but much of the time I get a message saying the app has been paid for, but it was unsuccessfully downloaded, and I should connect from a wireless network or my PC to download it. This is common for the higher end apps--they tend to be too large to download via the cellular network.

And if I can download directly to my ipad when it isn't connected, why not offer that option when it IS connected? You have the benefit of a more robust network connection, and less battery drain, so there are obvious advantages--such as my example at the Internet Cafe.

Anyway, I hope Apple might consider a work around or tutorial on how to manage libraries when you have 4 ipods, 2 ipads and 4 home computers. There are two of us in my household, and it is really a huge nightmare trying to sync our various devices to our iTunes libraries. There should be a power user solution to simplify the process. I've been an Apple customer for 25 years!

Just my 2 cents anyway...

tmno2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Karen.
What the downloader is saying to the down-loadee is that it would be best to download by either wi-fi or by direct connection, as previously suggested, because the size of the download may cause havoc with your contracted bandwidth, even if error checking and re-downloading is not considered.
Connecting via wi-fi will give you a badge on the AppStore icon to show that an app update or download is available.

Hope this is helpful.

Why does everybody, but you and I, seem crazy?

Most reactions