What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi from China

FirstApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've just bought my first apple product ofcourse the iPad, 2 days ago. I've been searching this forum for almost a month until I decided to look for my new tablet.

It's been a whole day searching 64GB +3G from zhuhai, Macau until I have found it in Shenzhen which cost me US1000.

It is still sealed in the box and got it from apple authorized reseller. It has an AT&T sim card inside when I open the sim card slot. At first, I can not access the apps store until I have created a US account and voilà, I have installed more than 50 free apps.

I am very happy with my new iPad and I can access my ms exchange email, my kids love to play the games and I want to try the paid apps once I have access on Asian apple store 2 months from now.
The unit can scan china mobile and china unicom but I still don't have the micro sim ready yet.
Thanks to ipadforum and more power.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Welcome! And glad you joined us....

Smart idea setting up a US account, at least you got some apps to play with until your store opens....

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ni Hao from Guangzhou, you can access to US iTunes i have post article how to do in the international section here…. for the sim card you can buy (prepaid or contract) from China Unicom and cut the sim card as i do that work fine for me

China Mobile their 3G is slow as it’s special 3G and don’t work well with apple products from oversea (iPhone/iPad)

OP
F

FirstApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ni Hao from Guangzhou, you can access to US iTunes i have post article how to do in the international section here…. for the sim card you can buy (prepaid or contract) from China Unicom and cut the sim card as i do that work fine for me

China Mobile their 3G is slow as it’s special 3G and don’t work well with apple products from oversea (iPhone/iPad)

Hi IpadOne. Can you share how you cut your SIM card? Which cutting tool did u use? I still have my original AT&T SIM and i can follow the shape for me to cut the China Unicom. I am planning to get the sim this weekend. How about the setting (APN, etc.)?
Thanks.:)

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome! I bungie jumped from the Macau tower a couple of years ago.

I also don't think $1000 is so bad for the 64GB 3G. I paid about that much for mine under the "official" prices - and I'm still waiting for it.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi IpadOne. Can you share how you cut your SIM card? Which cutting tool did u use? I still have my original AT&T SIM and i can follow the shape for me to cut the China Unicom. I am planning to get the sim this weekend. How about the setting (APN, etc.)?
Thanks.:)

Hi sorry due to the size file i can’t give you the nice file how to do …

concerning the network info i have ask a friend to give me the correct one (China Unicom), if you have an iphone is exactly the same but it’s based on each operator …

i don’t recommend you to use China telecom for the 3G …

don’t hesitate to ask me if you got some trouble

Attachments

• LGT2 How to make a Micro Sim out of a traditional SIM - MicroSIM Shop_Page_1.jpg
    LGT2 How to make a Micro Sim out of a traditional SIM - MicroSIM Shop_Page_1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 929
  • LGT2 How to make a Micro Sim out of a traditional SIM - MicroSIM Shop_Page_2.jpg
    LGT2 How to make a Micro Sim out of a traditional SIM - MicroSIM Shop_Page_2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 412
OP
F

FirstApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, ipadone thanks for the info. I will buy china unnicom sim and cut it. I will let you know if this will work on my iPad. :)

midnightio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am from Texas (USA) and travel to China about 4 times each year. I normally live in Shunde and Guangzhou.

I read a message you posted and you seem very knowledgeable about the Ipad.

Is it possible for me to buy an Ipad in China, add a China Unicom SIM card, and be able to have GPS on the Ipad using Google maps?

My goal is to use GPS + Google maps when I travel in China so I know where I am located. For example, I travel alone many times and if I am in Guangzhou city it would be very helpful to use Google Maps to know my location inside the city, and know the distance to the airport and other locations.

Is this possible using the Ipad. Or can I use an external USB GPS with the Ipad and Google Maps?

Thank you!

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am from Texas (USA) and travel to China about 4 times each year. I normally live in Shunde and Guangzhou.

I read a message you posted and you seem very knowledgeable about the Ipad.

Is it possible for me to buy an Ipad in China, add a China Unicom SIM card, and be able to have GPS on the Ipad using Google maps?

My goal is to use GPS + Google maps when I travel in China so I know where I am located. For example, I travel alone many times and if I am in Guangzhou city it would be very helpful to use Google Maps to know my location inside the city, and know the distance to the airport and other locations.

Is this possible using the Ipad. Or can I use an external USB GPS with the Ipad and Google Maps?

Thank you!

hi and welcome here, you can easily buy a pre-paid card China Unicom cut it buy your self enter the correct information in your ipad and voila

Settings> Cellular Data> access point > APN : uninet

enjoy your trip in china

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Wait..... This website isn't blocked by the Chinese government? I thought they blocked everything.

LOL just joking, welcome to the site.

midnightio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi and welcome here, you can easily buy a pre-paid card China Unicom cut it buy your self enter the correct information in your ipad and voila

Settings> Cellular Data> access point > APN : uninet

enjoy your trip in china

Great. I have an additional question. I assume that the Ipad can access Google maps using the Unicom SIM card over the internet. So if I am in Guangzhou and I look at satellite view in Google maps on the IPad and see different parts of the city.

Does the GPS in the IPad 3G work in China? In the USA, the IPad 3G will tell me my location using GPS (or GPS A using the cell phone towers). When I move in my car or walking the IPad will update my position on Google maps.

Will the IPad 3G also receive GPS location instructions in China, or is this data blocked or restricted??

Most reactions

Latest posts