What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help

kandaey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Want to do the latest software update to my iPad 2

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Either connect your iPad to your PC, start iTunes, and press the "Update" button, OR
If you are already on at least IOS 5.0, connect to a wifi network then go to Settings > General > Software Update right on the iPad and follow the instructions.

Presto!

Good luck.

OP
kandaey

kandaey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The version I am on is 4.3.5 (8L1)

OP
kandaey

kandaey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
OK, so you need to go the first route ;)

So since I have I tune downloaded on my screen with icons do I still need to plug my iPad to a pc . Can you give me step by step how to update my iPad2 to the new version

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you need to plug the iPad in to your PC. Ensure you have the latest version of iTunes and make a backup of your iPad.

Then, as f4780y said, connect the iPad (via the USB cable) to your PC. Open iTunes and, after iTunes "sees" the iPad, make the backup (right click on the iPad line, select "Backup"). Then, select "Upgrade" in iTunes.

iTunes will do its magic and, when prompted, you will elect to "restore from backup." iTunes will put your iPad back the way it was - except you will now have the latest version of the iOS.

Hope this clarifies. Holler back if you need more assistance.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You must use your PC (Mac or Windows) to update the iPad. You cannot use iTunes on the iPad itself. These are completely separate things.

1) Install the latest iTunes on your PC from apple.com
2) Connect your iPad to your PC with the cable and start iTunes
3) Click on the iPad in the left hand panel of iTunes
4) Press the "Update" button which is shown on screen

This will update your iPad to the latest version of IOS. The process will take a while to complete, particularly if you have never connected your iPad to a PC before. Just follow the instructions which iTune provides on the screen and you should be fine.

Most reactions

Latest posts