What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with "Pages" app, please?

lstrom2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to use Pages app to open Word documents that come to me as email attachments. They are in the ".doc" format. The Pages tutorial says to drag and drop the word doc to the Pages icon. Since I can't see the Pages icon on my email screen, I don't know how to do that. Help, please?

stevenmolloy01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can any1 help? Is it possible to put documents into folders in the pages app?

If so how do you do it?

Any help appreciated...!!

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In your email, try selecting the .doc file. The ipad will try to open it, and at the top of the screen it should say "open in..." If you select that, it should let you choose to open it using pages...

Hope this helps!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can any1 help? Is it possible to put documents into folders in the pages app?

If so how do you do it?

Any help appreciated...!!

You need the very latest update to Pages to be able to do this. If you have this latest update, then press and hold any document in the My Documents view until they start to jiggle, then drag one 'jiggling' document over another and release and a folder will be created containing those two documents. You can drag other documents in the same way. Press the Home button when you've finished. The procedure is the same as for creating desktop folders...

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to use Pages app to open Word documents that come to me as email attachments. They are in the ".doc" format. The Pages tutorial says to drag and drop the word doc to the Pages icon. Since I can't see the Pages icon on my email screen, I don't know how to do that. Help, please?

I think you are probably reading the tutorial for the Mac version of Pages; the iPad version is completely different. As the other poster suggested, you can open the document in Pages by touching the document as it is displayed in Mail and selecting the Open In option, where Pages will be offered.

Tim

OP
L

lstrom2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am doing as suggested.

Tim, that is what I am doing, but it won't work, says format is wrong. But it is a ".doc" format. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
OP
L

lstrom2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clarification

I am not sure what you mean by this. The face of the email shows a box in the upper left area, kind of looks like an icon. When I click on one, it pops up with another page that shows the number and identifies the document as a word ".doc". In the upper right, there is now a box that says "open in Pages". When I click on that, the system attempts to open the document and then comes up with the format error.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by this. The face of the email shows a box in the upper left area, kind of looks like an icon. When I click on one, it pops up with another page that shows the number and identifies the document as a word ".doc". In the upper right, there is now a box that says "open in Pages". When I click on that, the system attempts to open the document and then comes up with the format error.

Then there is an error in the file (or some unusual formatting) that Pages can't handle. If you have access to the original document try using Save As to save it as an older (2007) version of Word. Then send it to the iPad again and give it a try.

OP
L

lstrom2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If that is the case, I just wasted my money on this device and app

I receive updates daily from Westlaw with court cases as Word attachments in .doc form, which this app is supposed to be able to open. This is the main reason I bought the iPad, so I could work from anywhere.

Anyone have any other solutions?

If not, thanks for the attempts to assist, everyone.

maliu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lstrom2 said:
I receive updates daily from Westlaw with court cases as Word attachments in .doc form, which this app is supposed to be able to open. This is the main reason I bought the iPad, so I could work from anywhere.

Anyone have any other solutions?

If not, thanks for the attempts to assist, everyone.

Try Goodreader, it's been able to open up everything I've thrown at it including attachments that my PC at work couldn't open.

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lstrom2 said:
Tim, that is what I am doing, but it won't work, says format is wrong. But it is a ".doc" format. What am I doing wrong?

Is the file .doc or .docx? Pages will not open the latter. You have to convert to earlier version.

OP
L

lstrom2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely .doc format

I will go look at good reader, and thanks.

OP
L

lstrom2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem solved - here is the solution

My brilliant techie brother in law figured out that even though the Westlaw MS Word .doc attachments were ".doc." they were rich text format. Changing the tail of the file name from .doc to rtf allowed Goodreader to open them. If anyone wants to be walked through this process, let me know; it takes a couple of quick steps, but at least it works.

Thanks to all who assisted. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts