What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with changing root password

Stingray_Spin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section. I've recently jailbroken my Ipad 2 (32gb Wifi only) with Comex's Jailbreakme.

I want to get the "PC Networking" app from Cydia, and one of the forumgoers suggested that we should change our root password if we want to use this app.

I want to do this by using MobileTerminal. However, the latest version I've managed to find only supports up to 4.3.1, according to the Cydia description.

I'm not quite sure what to do. Is there a different method I could use to change my root password?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Rushh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could use SSH terminal app which is available in the app store.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know which version of Mobile Terminal you have ... but I have (and have successfully used) version 520-1.

Yeah, mine also says "for the iOS 4 to 4.3.1 firmware!" - but, I'm running 4.3.3 and I am typing this right after I successfully opened up Mobile Terminal.

Hope that alleviates some concerns.

Marilyn

OP
S

Stingray_Spin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, both of you guys. After some research I opted for putty, and easily changed the root password. That's the same version of MobileTerminal I found, Mickey, good to know it works on 4.3.3.

Since changing the root password, I've uninstalled OpenSSH from the Ipad. Is this ok? Or do I need to keep it installed in order for the new password to be in effect?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since changing the root password, I've uninstalled OpenSSH from the Ipad. Is this ok? Or do I need to keep it installed in order for the new password to be in effect?

No. It's fine. You have nothing to worry about without OpenSSH installed.

Most reactions

Latest posts