What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP- Numbers: have a contacts list, want to Export into Contacts App

Cham_001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please help!

Driven to despair trying different ways to make this happen without success.

Scenario:
I have an extensive Hit-list for an imminent launch of a marketing campaign 1,000 records.
This List was created by a marketing company in .csv format for Excel.
I have successfully copied this List into the Apple Numbers App.

However, there is no function/feature in Contacts to IMPORT this valuable data.
Neither, is there an EXPORT function/feature in the Numbers Apps to get the data into the Contacts App.

I started to look at Field Mapping Apps, so that the Contacts List data could be 'fed-in' to the Contacts App.

I came across this one which I bought. it is a third-party App from the Apple Store named
Contacts Synchronisation [www.cellica.com], However, I cannot download the desktop component-side - God-knows why ??!!??

Their website states that within this App, you can define your own data-mapping so that .csv files can be directly synched with the Contacts App.

This is the solution that I am looking for, but as this desktop-side component refuses to install onto my laptop, I am still left hanging!

QUESTIONS:
1.) is there anyone out there who knows how to resolve this problem?
2.) is there any other way, that is certain to work, that you can recommend I try?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are your contacts already synced with a service like MobileMe, Google, or Exchange. If they are import your contacts there instead. Much easier and you'll find more tools to do the job.

If not, then I recommend getting a free Google mail account and using it's contacts features.

What you will want to do, without getting into to many details.

Create your Google email account.

Go into contacts and add a few sample contacts. Be sure to add all the same fields you will want with the imported contacts.

Use the More Actions menu item to export all the contacts as a CSV file.

Import the CSV file into Excel.

Compair the two files. Copy and paste from your master file to the the Google Excel file to get all you info in it. When you have it ready export the new file as a CSV.

Go back to Google Contacts and use the Import CSV option. Carefully check to make sure all contacts are looking right.

Now, finally, on your iPad:

Go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and add an account using this method: http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

After it is added open the account and turn off Calendar or Mail syncing if you don't want them.

Go to the Address Book and check to see if it worked.

You can delete the Google account from the iPad if you want to after it is over. Just be careful not to tap the delete all data choice when doing so. Or leave the account active for easy one stop editing of the contact list later.

Cowardly Disclaimer:
This should work. I know people who have made it work with Android devices, Exchange, and when migrating from Black Berries. BUT, I've never done it myself, and there are multiple ways for it to go wrong.

On the other hand, none of your original files are at risk and it's all undoable. So all you really risk is wasting your time. If you can't find a better one stop method this may be your only choice.

OP
C

Cham_001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Are your contacts already synced with a service like MobileMe, Google, or Exchange. If they are import your contacts there instead. Much easier and you'll find more tools to do the job.

If not, then I recommend getting a free Google mail account and using it's contacts features.

What you will want to do, without getting into to many details.

Create your Google email account.

Go into contacts and add a few sample contacts. Be sure to add all the same fields you will want with the imported contacts.

Use the More Actions menu item to export all the contacts as a CSV file.

Import the CSV file into Excel.

Compair the two files. Copy and paste from your master file to the the Google Excel file to get all you info in it. When you have it ready export the new file as a CSV.

Go back to Google Contacts and use the Import CSV option. Carefully check to make sure all contacts are looking right.

Now, finally, on your iPad:

Go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and add an account using this method: http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

After it is added open the account and turn off Calendar or Mail syncing if you don't want them.

Go to the Address Book and check to see if it worked.

You can delete the Google account from the iPad if you want to after it is over. Just be careful not to tap the delete all data choice when doing so. Or leave the account active for easy one stop editing of the contact list later.

Cowardly Disclaimer:
This should work. I know people who have made it work with Android devices, Exchange, and when migrating from Black Berries. BUT, I've never done it myself, and there are multiple ways for it to go wrong.

On the other hand, none of your original files are at risk and it's all undoable. So all you really risk is wasting your time. If you can't find a better one stop method this may be your only choice.

-----

Thanks TwerpPoet,

I understand that synching with these independent web-based e-mail systems would get this objective done.
My preference is to have a simple Applet on the iPad or iPhone that Imports/Exports a basic Microsoft .xls Contacts file into the Apple Contacts application.

This would facilitate the easy migration of other files into Apple Contacts for:
- alternative and additional marketing campaigns
- the rapid addition (and/or deletion) of these created Contact lists
- the avoidance of reying on the web when either signal strength/unavailable wireless/low battery would be prohibitive.

I still think that Apple has a responsibility in fulfilling this fundamental requirement, as I am not the first nor will I be the last.
If there are working applications that achieve this then I will continue searching on the Apps Store.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The problem is that while you can use the iPad's mail, calendar, and contacts independently they were really designed to be an extension of your computer or online service. You can see this in the many small things they lack.

That means that the tools you want exist, but they mostly exist for the computer programs or online services.

But if you do find the iPad too to do what you want, let us know. I'm sure there are others who would find it useful. How the iPad was designed and how people are using, or wanting to use it, are rapidly diverging paths. It will probably take Apple a while to come to grips with what their device has become and start to add the features accordingly. It did with the iPhone, anyway.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just curious, have you tried ExcelContacts yet. It's an iPhone app, but there is no reason it shouldn't work on the iPad. Home_en - Mobile App designed by Sam Yu

Might have to tweak your Excel file, but it's one less step than the GMail option I outlined.

There are a couple more iPhone apps that might work, but this one had the highest reviews of the ones I looked at.

Last edited:
OP
C

Cham_001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Tee hee.... i am now a very happy bunny!

I was going through the AppStore to find a solution.... And YES, I have come across the following Application:
Serenaware - company name
myCRM - application name
£17.99 - cost. ( expensive, but after wasting about 2 weeks in lost productivity i nolonger care)

This is a all in one app for mobile sales professionals and SME/SMBs. It successfully Imports the Contacts from the iPhone/iPad and adds these Contacts as Prospects within the application.

You have access to all the information revolving around the Contact details, so name, address, company name....etc.
You can dial a Prospect from within the App and make notes as to the outcome of that call
You can make a Prospect into a Sales Opportunity and assign a % liklihood of this becoming a Deal (also enter commission info')
You can convert that Prospect info a Sale / Customer and than have associated information about that Deal.
You can Filter sort, run queries and generate on-screen reports about Sales, Customers and Opportunities

So all-in-all, my original issue has been overcome.
Also, because of my own consultancy work, i can extend the use of this useful App' to make my business life so much easier...

I am now rolling............ With a total of 1,168 contacts to now call to do business with, I may not be on this Forum for a little while.

Many many thanks for your advice, comments, suggestions and contributions.....

Cham_001 (Afzal)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad you found a good solution. And for what you say it does, $17.99 doesn't sound like a bad price.

Most reactions

Latest posts