What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!! Merging itunes accounts and airport set up!

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm really confused as to what an airport device is and which products I need. I basically want to be able to print via wireless facility but do not have a printer that has that facility. Can anyone recommend a device or is it better to buy a new printer? Does Airplay permit your tvs to show what is on your ipad? Additionally, we have 4 iTunes accounts all synced to the main iMac which we then download. When updates are issued we are then prompted to key in everyone's different passwords. Is there an easier way around this without having to repurchase these apps books and music?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no way to merge iTunes accounts. I've seen some wishful speculation in some iOS 5 articles, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The Airport (Express or Extreem) routers have USB ports for adding printers to the network, but there is no way for an iPad to directly access these printers. You need a computer, OS X or Windows, to use a printer t his way. Once you've done that there are a couple of ways the iPad can access a printer through your computer, but the computer must be running and on the same network as the iPad.

AirPrint is different from Airport. You need either an AirPrint compatible Printer or a way to get your computer to pretend to be an AirPrint printer and share it's printers. Miket5au has a good link to the free way for Windows. Two pay for options with a few more bells and whistles are FingerPring (for Windows or Mac) and Printopia (for Mac).

The other way to get print capabilty from your iPad is with an app like Print n Share, or PrintCentral. These will work with many wireless printers, or can work with almost any printer using a computer program. The upside is that if you have a compatible wireless printer you won't need to by an AirPrint compatible printer. The downside is that you can not use it to print directly from apps that support AirPrint.

Use this solution if you have no desktop computer, or rarely have it turned on, or move from place to place that has compatibel printers. Otherwise the solutions that have your computer share it's printers is the easier to deal with.

Easiest, of course, is an actuall AirPrint compatible printer, but most of us don't want to buy a new printer just for the iPad.

Last edited:
OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I have an iMac and MacBooks but am unsure if my printer is compatible. Will google to see if it is. Thanks again xx

Most reactions

Latest posts