What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me with my iPad2 accessory bewilderment (esp keyboard & case)

Feanor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The background: I have a 16Gb Wifi Ipad 1. I'm a keen amateur photographer, and with the release of the brilliant Photosmith, I need as much memory as possible for the massive files generated by my Canon 5DII. So I'm getting myself a 64Gb Wifi only iPad 2 for my birthday, whilst my girlfriend gets sole use of the iPad 1 (which will also stop us fighting over it).

Now, I need to choose what keyboard/case combo I want but I'm bemused by the vast array of different products on the market.

I like the idea of the ZAGGmate, but when I'm out and about with my iPad 2 I doubt I'll want a keyboard much. I won't want it for my photos particularly. Which makes me reluctant to be forced to "carry" the keyboard with me as an integrated case.
I'm also not entirely convinced by the idea of a protective case that is itself an expensive piece of technology. The Macally cover I have for my iPad 1 has proved its worth, and the edge protectors saved the iPad when I dropped it onto a stone airport floor once. I don't know what would have happened had the same thing occurred with the iPad in a ZAGGmate. I'm also not entirely convinced about how stable the iPad is when sat on the ZAGGmate when using them both on my lap.

I do like the look of the Apple Smartcovers. So I'm wondering whether to get a smart cover, the OEM Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, the Incase Irigami Workstation (I would link but am too new here for the forum to let me) and some larger case to hold everything together when on the go (and protect the iPad from drops when walking through airports).

But I'm not sure whether this solution will allow for occasional lap-top use. This, I know, is having said I don't want a case that turns my iPad into a laptop. I guess I want the best of all worlds. In reality I doubt there'll be many situations where I can't put the iPad a short distance away - on a coffee table, say - and use the Apple Keyboard on my lap.

Assuming this solution works and a smartcover is the way to go, should I get leather or polyurethane cover??

Many thanks in advance for any help :).

gmaines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is hard to say which is best...I have a Zagg 2 which I love, I also have a leather case that I like, I have a poly back with the black leather smart cover that works great. I should be getting the Grove case next week and tomorrow I get the Switcheasy canvas case. And yes I do have a problem... I love all the cases. some are good when around town or work, or when I travel I use the Zagg. Do not know if this help, but give yourself some choices and have fun with it.

OP
F

Feanor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks... but I don't really want to spend cash on buying several cases. I can't really afford it at the mo and anyway my philosophy is research thoroughly, think things through, buy quality and buy once.

I guess my ridiculously long post above can be summarised into a dilemma between the Apple keyboard and the ZAGGmate.

There are plenty of posts here from people with the ZAGGmate.

Has anyone recently gone for the Apple keyboard? Why? How has it worked out? What case(s) did you get?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used a folding Bluetooth keyboard (check Amazon); it folds up really small and has a faux leather pouch into which it fits. It's light and small and has some dedicated iPad keys (Home, Volume etc). Yes, it's kind of flimsy when out, but it is very light and I guess you can't have both. It's so small when folded that there's no temptation to 'leave it behind' when I take my iPad out.

As a touch typist I find the on-screen keyboard OK for very limited typing but, beyond that, it's not too good because of the lack of tactile feedback. If you decide to go standalone Bluetooth keyboard, then the choice of cases opens right up.

Tim

OP
F

Feanor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a touch typist I find the on-screen keyboard OK for very limited typing but, beyond that, it's not too good because of the lack of tactile feedback. If you decide to go standalone Bluetooth keyboard, then the choice of cases opens right up.

Tim

Thanks, that's very helpful. Are you able to use your keyboard and iPad on your lap?

I'm not too sure about the sturdiness of a folding keyboard so am thinking of getting the Origami Workstation keyboard case, but am unsure whether it's sturdy & stable enough for lap-top use. I've emailed the company to ask and I'll let you know what they say.

I'm now thinking of going for something like this clear backing case (eBay link) along with the Smart Cover - I hope it'd be a nice elegant solution that adds no bulk to the iPad whilst providing full edge protection.

Last edited:

Tom811

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the apple bluetooth keyboard and the apple smart case. The case works well to hold my iPad vertically to type and to provide some protection. This combination works well for me, when I'm out of the house. I use a waterfield express case to hold both items.

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Crux360 say they are coming out with a version for the ipad2 soon. I find that one very compact and versatile.

OP
F

Feanor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I thought I'd settled on the Mareware CEO Hybrid but then I read about some peoples' concerns about its weight, and realised it's 300 grams - half the weight of the entire iPad 2!!

I love the idea of the hand strap on the Marware but I don't see the point in spending a lot of money on something that's small and light and then putting a case on it that makes it big and heavy. May as well just buy a laptop for half the money and not put a case on it.

I like the above suggestion of a Waterfield case. This would suit me perfectly to have all my iPad bits together in one place. It also leaves me free to use, say, a Smart Cover so the iPad's not weighed down when I'm reading etc.

Can someone explain the practical difference between the Waterfield iPad Wallet and the Travel Express? They just seem to be the same thing, same size etc, while the Wallet is heavier.

Is the strap worth getting? If so, which one?

And is anyone particularly happy with their Marware? If so, do you read much on your iPad and how much of an issue is the weight? Does the hand strap make the weight easier to deal with?

Kukulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.time-tours.com
I am not totally against Zaggmate but for casual keyboard use you have unprotected iPad most of the time. So the solution would be like Zaggmate + backskin + smartcover otg...quite pricey.

I type with wireless keyboard and iPad on my lap, no problem and I love to have the full size keyboard. It isnt the perfect elegant solution for carrying both around but most of the time the onscreen keyboard is sufficient anyway. The keyboard mostly gets used because it gives me the full screen size for text, something I mostly need for editing html through ftp.

I would think "wireless + smartcover + origami + extra bag" better be replaced by "wireless + any case/folio + extra bag". That way you protect the back of the iPad (that needs protection) instead of having an extra unecessary protection for the keyboard.

Last edited:
OP
F

Feanor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not totally against Zaggmate but for casual keyboard use you have unprotected iPad most of the time. So the solution would be like Zaggmate + backskin + smartcover otg...quite pricey.

I type with wireless keyboard and iPad on my lap, no problem and I love to have the full size keyboard. It isnt the perfect elegant solution for carrying both around but most of the time the onscreen keyboard is sufficient anyway. The keyboard mostly gets used because it gives me the full screen size for text, something I mostly need for editing html through ftp.

Hab gerade deine .de email addresse gesehen :). Das denke ich genau auch so - ich brauche ein Tastatur nicht immer, und dashalb kaufe ich der Zaggmate nicht.

Eine frage, weisst du ob der Zaggmate für iPad 1 mit Deutsche Tastatur existiert? Meine (Deutsche) Freundin kriegt mein iPad 1 wenn meine neue iPad 2 kommt, und sie will das Deutsche Zaggmate haben aber kann es nur für das iPad 2 finden.

Kukulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.time-tours.com
Nope...dont think there is a quertz version available.

Check this: [ame=http://www.amazon.de/Kensington-iPad-Keyboard-Folio-Case/dp/B0047V031Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304976810&sr=1-1]Kensington Kensington iPad Keyboard Folio Case: Amazon.de: Elektronik[/ame]

Reviews seem OK, much better than the only other alternative from GeneralKeys.

Tachyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a minimalist. I carry ipad2 in a leather sleeve by Targus Hughes. I'm very happy with the look and feel of the saddle leather and it has ample protection. My IPad has the Apple smart cover in black and I just received the SwitchEasy black CoverBuddy. This fits very well with little added thickness and protects the back. The combo satisfies all my needs.

OP
F

Feanor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I've sent her the link for the German keyboard, will see what she says :).

I'm not too sure about the slipcase idea, although thanks for the suggestion. I travel abroad a lot so could really do with a small bag where everything is in one place - charger, keyboard, compactflash reader etc.

Anyway my gf has vetoed the Waterfield Wallet and Travel Express cases - she thinks they look too much like makeup bags. Maybe she has a point. She loves the look of the Waterfield Muzetto but it's expensive and not available till mid June (women always choose the most expensive option don't they!! lol)

So she's found a few options on ebay, including this.

I'll have more of a think tonight. In the meantime, any more thoughts would be much appreciated :).

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a Switcheasy Canvas and a Verbatim foldable bluetooth keyboard. They're both good looking, durable, and portable.

I will say I went through a zaggmate, ipad 2 sleeve, apple BT keyboard, a case mate Barely There (back only) cover, a pad and quill Octavo, and a Belkin flip blade stand before I found the right combination. My boyfriend was so sick of me searching for and buying and returning accessories. I'm relieved to finally have what works for me.

Like you I searched lots of forums, reviews, youtube unboxings, Facebook pages etc.

Most reactions

Latest posts