What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Jailbreaking friends iPad1 4.3.2

H

hazi1610

Hi there, my friend, having seen how lovely my iPad 2 is, decided he wanted one but the shop only had the iPad 1 and it's second hand.

No problem there, it has os v4.2.1. I promised I would jailbreak it for him but on reading the destructions, am not entirely sure if I can do it.

I've looked at greenp0ison and the method in this thread. This method seems to me to be the easiest. However, as 4.2.1 is no longer current and he doesn't have any blobs, am I right in thinking it won't be possible?

Also, as it's second hand, I guess it's possible that it might have been jail broken in the past by it's previous owner. If that were the case, does TU recognise blobs according to the device serial number or from another source (hope that makes sense)? If it goes on serial number, would installing TU mean that if any blobs had been saved for that device, they would show up? I am assuming that there will be no way of finding any previous blobs though.

So, what I need to know is can his device be jail broken as it is and also, again, I assume not, but could the os be upgraded to 4.3.3 as opposed to the latest 4.3.4. I ask this purely because the jailbreak for 4.3.3 is so easy and I would rather use that method if at all possible.

Just to clarify, his is iPad 1, wifi and 3G, 32g running os v4.2.1.

I hope I have been clear enough with my questions and provided enough information.

Thank you in advance for any help anybody may be able to offer.

From Alison, Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
H

hazi1610

hazi1610 said:
Hi there, my friend, having seen how lovely my iPad 2 is, decided he wanted one but the shop only had the iPad 1 and it's second hand.

No problem there, it has os v4.2.1. I promised I would jailbreak it for him but on reading the destructions, am not entirely sure if I can do it.

I've looked at greenp0ison and the method in this thread. This method seems to me to be the easiest. However, as 4.2.1 is no longer current and he doesn't have any blobs, am I right in thinking it won't be possible?

Also, as it's second hand, I guess it's possible that it might have been jail broken in the past by it's previous owner. If that were the case, does TU recognise blobs according to the device serial number or from another source (hope that makes sense)? If it goes on serial number, would installing TU mean that if any blobs had been saved for that device, they would show up? I am assuming that there will be no way of finding any previous blobs though.

So, what I need to know is can his device be jail broken as it is and also, again, I assume not, but could the os be upgraded to 4.3.3 as opposed to the latest 4.3.4. I ask this purely because the jailbreak for 4.3.3 is so easy and I would rather use that method if at all possible.

Just to clarify, his is iPad 1, wifi and 3G, 32g running os v4.2.1.

I hope I have been clear enough with my questions and provided enough information.

Thank you in advance for any help anybody may be able to offer.

From Alison, Sent from my iPad using iPF

Couldn't work out how to edit my original post but checked to see which os version he had tonight and he had got it wrong, he's on v4.3.2.

From Alison, Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can use Tiny Umbrella (TU) to see if he has any blobs saved. Just download TU, hook his iPad up and run "Save SHSH." If the iPad was jail broke in the past, they'll show up. Just remember to run TU with the box titled "Request SHSH from Cydia" checked (on the Advanced tab). If there are blobs saved, they're out on Cydia's servers. If you're real lucky, iOS 4.3.3 is out there.

And, while you are there, for the heck of it, uncheck that box and re-run to get the iOS 4.3.4 version (and the iOS5 beta versions) from Apple. It never hurts to get into the habit of collecting blobs...

If there are no blobs saved, it'll be best to jail break it where it's at (version 4.3.1). That's because, with no blobs, the only current version is 4.3.4, and that only has a tethered jailbreak. Workable, but if you can get it running untethered at 4.3.1, why not try that first, yeah?

So, if that is the case, you will need to download and use iFaith (which is another tool created so you can save blobs for the firmware version your iPad is currently on).

Before I go any further (cause I have to read up on how to use iFaith in the jail break process) - may I ask you to first find out if you can get any blobs for that iPad. As in, run TU and see if it's been jail broke before.

If you've got blobs, we can go one way. If you don't have any/can't find any, go ahead an download iFaith and we'll go from there.

Suits?

Marilyn

OP
H

hazi1610

f4780y said:
Whilst Marilyn is helping out, I am going to have a little moan. Alison, please start your own thread if you have a big question to ask like this. We take thread hijacking very seriously here. This thread is a sn0wbreeze tutorial, and your problem has nothing to do with that... Folks expect a thread to stay on topic, because if they are reading through and have their own problem with sn0wbreeze, they expect the details to be relevant. Having several large unrelated posts in the middle doesn't help.
I will split it out into it's own thread. Moan over. :)

Sorry, I thought it did have something to do witb snow breeze as that was the method I was looking at using and figured it best to post where the method was relevant.

OP
H

hazi1610

Mickey330 said:
Yes, you can use Tiny Umbrella (TU) to see if he has any blobs saved. Just download TU, hook his iPad up and run "Save SHSH." If the iPad was jail broke in the past, they'll show up. Just remember to run TU with the box titled "Request SHSH from Cydia" checked (on the Advanced tab). If there are blobs saved, they're out on Cydia's servers. If you're real lucky, iOS 4.3.3 is out there.

And, while you are there, for the heck of it, uncheck that box and re-run to get the iOS 4.3.4 version (and the iOS5 beta versions) from Apple. It never hurts to get into the habit of collecting blobs...

If there are no blobs saved, it'll be best to jail break it where it's at (version 4.3.1). That's because, with no blobs, the only current version is 4.3.4, and that only has a tethered jailbreak. Workable, but if you can get it running untethered at 4.3.1, why not try that first, yeah?

So, if that is the case, you will need to download and use iFaith (which is another tool created so you can save blobs for the firmware version your iPad is currently on).

Before I go any further (cause I have to read up on how to use iFaith in the jail break process) - may I ask you to first find out if you can get any blobs for that iPad. As in, run TU and see if it's been jail broke before.

If you've got blobs, we can go one way. If you don't have any/can't find any, go ahead an download iFaith and we'll go from there.

Suits?

Marilyn

Many thanks Marylin, will be looking into it later today when I go over to my friend's. Will pm you if that's ok as I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hazi1610 said:
Many thanks Marylin, will be looking into it later today when I go over to my friend's. Will pm you if that's ok as I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have.

You've got your own thread now Alison, so you as the OP can take it in whatever direction you like... Please take my little moan in the spirit it was intended :) We are just trying to keep things tidy and organised for everyone's benefit.

For what it's worth, my recommendation would be to backup your friends 4.3.2 blobs with iFaith, and then jailbreak the device with redsn0w, although the iFaith is purely precautionary and not strictly necessary to get the jailbreak done.

There's a tutorial for redns0w in the guides section which I think you have seen already.

Last edited:
OP
H

hazi1610

f4780y said:
You've got your own thread now Alison, so you as the OP can take it in whatever direction you like... Please take my little moan in the spirit it was intended :) We are just trying to keep things tidy and organised for everyone's benefit.

For what it's worth, my recommendation would be to backup your friends 4.3.2 blobs with iFaith, and then jailbreak the device with redsn0w, although the iFaith is purely precautionary and not strictly necessary to get the jailbreak done.

There's a tutorial for redns0w in the guides section which I think you have seen already.

Sorry, I didn't take it the wrong way, I agree that threads shouldn't be hijacked, I was in a rush when I typed that reply, no offence taken.

Will be looking at it all properly over at my friend's in a while. Hopefully I can get him jail broken. Thanks for the responses and I will let you know how we get on etc.

OP
H

hazi1610

Mickey330 said:

Suits?

Marilyn

Ok, no blobs, installed ifaith but how do in save the blob for the current firmware? Is it build or dump I need to choose?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll want to do a dump of SHSH.

See this sticky here for a mention of what iFaith is doing ('bout the middle of the post): http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24323-shsh-blobs-frequently-asked-questions.html

Also, this tech article has a good step-by-step for using iFaith: Guide: How to Save SHSH Blobs Using iFaith on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad [Download] ~ iTech Vision

Enough so that I'm probably going to steal it (or the idea of it) and make our own iFaith tutorial... :)

Anyway - I digress.

See if this helps.

Marilyn

P.S. And, for any random, drive by viewers: iFaith does NOT work on the iPad2. Sorry.

OP
H

hazi1610

Damn, I typed a long reply and thanks to my broadband service being virtually non existent at the moment, the connection timed out and the message was lost.

Gonna cut it really short this time.

After much cursing and swearing, I was able to jailbreak my friend's iPad using jailbreakme.com after all. Last night when I told him to go there in safari and read out what it said, he said it said not for iPad. It didn't, it said not for iPad 2. So I decided to try it and it worked first time.

Hours wasted trying to sort everything out with ifaith when it wasn't needed, all because he didn't read the information properly. Grrrrr. Lol.

I am now trying to wind down and relax. Lol.

Just want to say thanks for trying to help, it is much appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, for goodness sake! I should have noticed it myself! You can jailbreak an iPad1 running iOS 4.3.2 with JailbreakMe 3.0. In fact, any 4.3.x version will do ... on the iPad1.

Man - I'd have saved you a lot of trouble if I could have just read the posts...

However, all that self-flagellation aside - yay! His iPad is jail broken. Now, don't go crazy buying up all the apps :)D), but do see this post:

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html

Congratulations on getting it done, in spite of your friend (and me!). Now, go have a cold beverage of your choice and bask in your accomplishment. You deserve it!

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Doh! Brain fade. Congratulations on befuddling both members of staff.

Must remember iPad1 support 4.3 to 4.3.3 on JBME 3.0! Arrrrrggghhh....

I love redsn0w so much, I still think you should have used that :p It's fun :D

OP
H

hazi1610

Rofl, so funny. Am grinning away to myself still about working it out for myself, especially being such a newbie myself to all this.

Thanks again for the offers of help, even if between us we all managed to miss it. Lol

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hazi1610 said:
Rofl, so funny. Am grinning away to myself still about working it out for myself, especially being such a newbie myself to all this.

That's how have spent the last year. :)
Figuring things out.

OP
H

hazi1610

graywolf said:
That's how have spent the last year. :)
Figuring things out.

Lol, and no doubt I will be spending the next year doing the same.

Most reactions

Latest posts