What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP! I won a free iPad but I don't have wireless internet

Shakedaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I won a free 16GB non-3G iPad at work for doing good a job but I don't have wireless internet at home - just standard plug in lan cable with my laptop.

PROBLEM: I'd really like to start downloading apps so I can look at comic books, etc. on my brand new iPad. But I do not have a nearby wireless internet source, nor do I have bluetooth on my laptop.

QUESTION:
Can I connect my iPad via USB cable to my laptop and use it as a modem for my iPad so I can access the app store, etc.?

(I tried googling my problem but kept on finding topics concerning the opposite challenge - tethering an iPad 3G to your laptop when your laptop has no available internet source. I have the opposite problem :D)

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shakedaddy said:
I won a free 16GB non-3G iPad at work for doing good a job but I don't have wireless internet at home - just standard plug in lan cable with my laptop.

PROBLEM: I'd really like to start downloading apps so I can look at comic books, etc. on my brand new iPad. But I do not have a nearby wireless internet source, nor do I have bluetooth on my laptop.

QUESTION: Can I connect my iPad via USB cable to my laptop and use it as a modem for my iPad so I can access the app store, etc.?

(I tried googling my problem but kept on finding topics concerning the opposite challenge - tethering an iPad 3G to your laptop when your laptop has no available internet source. I have the opposite problem :D)

The answer to your question is no. The iPad will not be able to pick up your laptops Internet network connection. I suggest using a free wifi source to download the apps you want or install a router for wireless access in your home. if you are still on dial up via phone line, well can't help you there.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

QUESTION:
Can I connect my iPad via USB cable to my laptop and use it as a modem for my iPad so I can access the app store, etc.?

No - it is not possible to connect your iPad via USB to your laptop and use your laptop as a modem. One practical solution is to acquire a USB WiFi dongle for your laptop, if your laptop does not already have WiFi (most do, though). If your laptop already has WiFi then set it up as a WiFi hotspot and let your iPad access the Internet through that.

But a USB 'modem' connection is not possible, the iPad does not have the necessary functionality.

Tim

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Presumably your laptop is connected to the internet ? Then download the apps you want with itunes and sync them to the ipad.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oops! Don't worry Tim, we know you don't use iTunes on a laptop, so it was an obvious one for us laptop users. We still love you!

OP
S

Shakedaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Presumably your laptop is connected to the internet ? Then download the apps you want with itunes and sync them to the ipad.

That sounds like the perfect solution - thanks! But I am a complete noob when it comes to iTunes (I use an android (gasp!)) and I don't see where the "app store" is on iTunes.

Could anyone give me some basic advice on how to use iTunes to download apps for your iPad via sync?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you in iTunes? If you are at the top is a button with apps on. You can either click on it or click on the arrow which will show you a menu and gives a list of the various genres. Once in look at the top 100 free or paid apps first, if you are new and then click on buy and it will ask are you sure! Some people disable this but I keep it in case I make a mistake. When you buy a free one, it just means you are downloading it not that you are buying it. Once you've downloaded it you can transfer to you iPad when you synch it to iTunes. Make sure you have ticked all the boxes on the first page as I use manually download my transfers because I don't want just anything put on iPad.

Let me know if I've left anything out!

OP
S

Shakedaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66, thanks a lot! I'm downloading apps as we speak.

The next big thing I'm planning on doing is jailbreaking my iPhone because I want to use SNES, PSX etc. emulators on it. Will I be able to jailbreak my iPhone without a direct wireless internet source? Or is that question... taboo?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, we have a jail breaking expert in Leigh, just head over to the JB forum section in main menu!

OP
S

Shakedaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help everyone, comic books look AWESOME on the iPad - it's the perfect size!!! I'll head to the JB forum now

Most reactions