What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help - Can you explain how Mifi works

comer13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend told me that you get better Internet access using a Mifi with a wifi only iPad than with a 3G iPad.
She said this is because a Mifi accesses the Internet through wifi and not 3G and Wifi is better. However When I went to the store to buy a Mifi I was told that a Mifi accesses the Internet through 3G. So does a Mifi access the Internet
in the same way that an iPad with 3 G does i.e. they both go through 3G? I'm new to all this and very confused so
any emanation appreciated.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mifi uses 3G so in that sense it is the same as a 3G iPad however, it transmits the 3G to your iPad as a wifi signal therefore some apps which restrict use over 3G are fooled into thinking its really a wifi signal. A good example would be the built in restriction of 20mb (I think) for downloading new apps over 3G.....with mifi there is no such restriction.

The Archangel

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also place the MiFi in an area that gets a 'better signal', such as on a windowsill and perhaps get a slight increase in speed.

Most reactions