What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP Big Problem

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
Before I screw up my new Ipad.....

I hadn't backed up my ipod to my laptop, which I was going to be using with the ipad. So I plugged in the Ipod i set up the computer to be authorized, and it asked if I wanted to have the ipod synced in itunes--I said yes. Two seconds later--there was nothing in the itunes library on the computer and nothing on the ipod. All 2500 songs are missing. So what do i do now??

I think the tunes are in the istore on my desktop computer upstairs. What happens if iplug in the ipod on the other computer??

I want to take the laptop to the Apple Store, the Ipod to the Apple store, and the ipad for their set up. So I need your help.....I haven't plugged in the ipad yet.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I'm guessing that the music was never in iTunes on that computer, right?

When you synced the iPod, you thought it would transfer the music to the computer from the iPod. Unfortunately it only does this if you choose Transfer Purchases. If you only chose Sync, then the iPod gets overwritten with whatever was in the library on the computer, which it sounds like was nothing.

It does warn you it is going to do this, but you probably didn't catch it. No problem, maybe.

Go upstairs, and check iTunes on that computer. If your music is there, you are cool. You can sync your iPod with that machine, and the music will be on it. It will tell you it will erase the iPod, but since there is nothing on it that's not going to matter. The iPod can not erase what is in your iTunes library on the computer.

If the music is not on the computer upstairs, or any other computer you own, call Apple Support and explain what happened. It is possible they may set things up so you can download your music again. They are not obligated to, and there might be technical reasons why not, but it's worth a try.

Now you have a choice. Do you wan't to sync both your iPad and iPod to the laptop from now on, or do you want to do them both from the upstairs computer. You could do both, but, I recommend using just one computer in order to keep life simple.

If you do decide to use the laptop, then the next time you connect the iPod, pay close attention to what it says when it says it will erase your iPod. It should also offer you a choice to Transfer Purchases. If it does not then cancel the dialog, right click on the iPod in the left column, and chose Transfer Purchases there.

This should move all the music on the iPod to the laptop's iTunes library. After that you should be good to go.

OP
D

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
The music is on the upstairs computer. But where is the option to sync it back onto the ipod. This I do not see. When i connect the Ipod to the upstairs computer there is no sync connection. My hope was to move the ipod music to the laptop and onto the ipad. And then put away the ipod. If I can just get the music back onto the ipod, I will put the music onto the Ipad at the desk top. This will work right? And any cds in the future I will do at the desk top. As well as Itune purchases.

Thank you for helping me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So, when you connect your iPod to the computer and look in iTunes, it does not show up?

Check the Apple site and make sure you are running the latest version of iTunes on that computer.

There are some threads around hear about computers that don't recognize iDevices. Most of the time it is fixed by full reinstalls of iTunes.

I'm assuming you are using Windows of some flavor, and my experience with Windows and iTunes is very limited, so someone else may have to jump in if updating iTunes does not work.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes may have created another library. Double click on iTunes and hold shift. A window will appear to select a library. Browse and see if another library exists.

Most reactions

Latest posts