What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello. This site is great. Have question, not problem!

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm Mark. From what I've seen, this site seems to be very well run and populated by pleasant folk.

I'm very new to Apple in general and iPad in particular. So far, the iPad seems to be just amazing (mind you, I haven't used wifi yet. My new wireless router should be arriving today. Excitement. Tension.).

My noobish question is, can I sync my iPad with any computer running iTunes? I'm hoping all I have to do is log in, plug in the iPad, and off I go.

I read somewhere about the computer having to be authorized (whatever that means) and only five computers can be authorized. Does this apply to what I want to do or is it referring to some other process?

Cheers!

rwilts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

the 5 authorised bit relates to itunes purchases. You can 'share' your purchased itunes stuff with a max of 5 computers.

You will need to sync your ipad with one computer only as the computer is a host to all your media and manages it as well. You just need one computer with itunes on it.

OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi rwilts, thanks for the reply.

So does that mean that whenever I want to upload/download, say, a, pdf between iPad and desktop (without using wifi/3g as my workplace doesn't have wifi) I'll only be able to do that on my home computer? :confused:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try DropBox from the app store on on the iPad and on the computers at work and at home. You would just drag and drop the pdf files you need into DropBox on the computer at work ,and, if you set them up with the same sign on, then they will be sent to the home computer and your iPad when you get WiFi up and running. Actually you won't need it on the home computer after the iPad is set up on WiFi, it will just sync with DropBox while you are on WiFi. For example, I have 7 PC's and one Mac, and iPod, iPad, iPhone and all my manuals are synced between them automatically. If I change them on one computer or iDevice, they are updated on all computers and iDevices. DropBox can do a lot more than just that. Check it out.

OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My first iPad Internet experience!

Thanks for the info Poco. I've just set up the wifi (with some help!) and the first place I could think of going was here.

This feels wild!!

Will check out Dropbox. Gotta go, 1000 things I want to try!

Cheers!

Most reactions