What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello - need recommendations

seotex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Newbie to apple products aside from some ipod experience. Planning to buy an ipad for my girlfriend and likely another for me to use for business purposes after we try hers out.
Starting with the first task...the girlfriend:
Here's what I believe she will use the ipad for:
* ebooks
* facebook
* pandora and possibly some music downloads
* tv shows, movies (she likes to use netflix to watch them - not sure if available with ipad)
* web surfing
* some pictures

I am trying to figure out which model will work best for her. We have wifi at home and pretty much anywhere we go so I don't see a need for 3G..I think?
How many gb would you recommend? How about accessories?
Thanks for the help!

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
eBooks - you have iBooks, Kindle, Google Books, nook, Kobo, Borders, Stanza to name a few. The readers I listed are all free, only the books cost money.
Facebook - Friendly is probably the one I would recommend. There is a free version of this one.
Music - Pandora is there and free. There are others as well, but I have not messed with any of the other ones.
TV/Movies - Netflix app is free. Hulu+ also has an iPad app.
Web - you really wont need any more than Safari. If you have to get a second browser, I would recommend Atomic - you can spoof browser versions.
Photos - for viewing, the Photos app is good enough to start with.

Before spending a lot, wait and see what she is gonna do with it. Other than Friendly Plus and Atomic, the other apps are free.

OP
S

seotex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Deckyon... based on the things I mentioned above...should I get her 16gb or 32 gb Ipad?
I have read that 16 is plently for a light music, book and movie download user but I have also been told that for movies I shouldn't go lower than 32gb.
Not trying to be cheap but rather a smart buyer.
Thanks again.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plan on purchasing the largest capacity IPAD that you are willing to pay with 3G You do not want to face the possibilities of not having enough storage space or lack of connectivity options. Purchase your Ipad for now and the future needs.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Movies take up A LOT of space!

Here is a graphical representation of my 16gb iPad --

ipad67.jpg

For Audio, I have 824 songs, some of which are full symphonies so they take up a lot more room than an "average" pop song.

For Videos, I only have ONE full-length feature film and the rest are either short YouTube clips or half hour TV shows.

For Photos, I have 640 so as you can see, they take very little room.

For Apps, I have 67.

For Books, I have about 45 (including some PDF files) so they also take up very little room.

I hope this helps.

OP
S

seotex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses... I think I'm going to play it safe and go with the 32gb to make sure she has plenty of space for movies.
I will post a review once we get it and play with it a bit.

Most reactions

Latest posts