What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Health and Mobile devices

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there--

Using any device for long, extended durations will increase your risk of eye strain, tension headaches muscle strain to the shoulders, elbows/wrists. This is has been clinically documented within the Medical Community for some time. However, these types of symptoms and musculoskeletal condition can occur with the use of any piece of equipment while maintaining a prolonged static positioning (sitting for 4 hours...)

It is always recommended to take breaks often from long term sitting, etc to avoid these potential overuse injuries.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've been having problems with my prescription lately.

The iPad has actually been a big help. Whenever I feel eyestrain or headaches coming on I switch to the iPad, which I can hold at a comfortable reading distance without my glasses on.

As Skimonkey says, it's about about how you use your devices. They can help or hurt. Just stay aware of what you are doing, how long you are doing it, and how you are feeling.

When I'm feeling a bit stiff or strained, I take the dog for a walk. Or, more rarely, do some of the chores that I've been avoiding.

Phineas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read your post and i like it .
But i have no sufficient knowledge on this topic . I will try to collect on this topic and share with you .
I will try to share information which have brief and wide detail which guide you .

SKP1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there--

Using any device for long, extended durations will increase your risk of eye strain, tension headaches muscle strain to the shoulders, elbows/wrists. This is has been clinically documented within the Medical Community for some time. However, these types of symptoms and musculoskeletal condition can occur with the use of any piece of equipment while maintaining a prolonged static positioning (sitting for 4 hours...)

It is always recommended to take breaks often from long term sitting, etc to avoid these potential overuse injuries.

I am sure in any situation with increasing technology, that it is useful for the body to take short breaks. This is especially true with computers and small hand held devices.

Taking the time to ensure correct posture is also important for the user.

VictoriaCourt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe it will help to use transition lenses or eye glasses if you use your Ipad or other gadgets at night. Pregnant women and mothers who just gave birth are prone to eye strains.

dana123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello!

I have decided to say the same you said here.So I have now nothing more to say.Thanks for your post and you have really figured out some good points.

Cheer:)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure in any situation with increasing technology, that it is useful for the body to take short breaks. This is especially true with computers and small hand held devices.

Taking the time to ensure correct posture is also important for the user.

Absolutely. No device is immune from creating or increasing the risk of musculoskeletal overuse injury. With that said, taking breaks often is a must for my patients--with the general guidelines of of 2 hours max of sitting than break afterwards.

Faulty posture is also a contributing factor to neck and back pain--so making sure that the seat has good support is imperative to promoting healthy posture and avoiding discomfort. However, once again---the rule of 2 hours or less in any one position is always the guideline I use with my own clients...and may be something for all to consider if they have prior ortho issues.

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A change in my prescription helped ALOT

Sent from my iPad using iPF

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So far, just the sight needed to be corrected....lol. When the neck strain comes, it is off to the chiropractor for me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's good that you find something or someone that can help you with that, Mollys...! :)

Stone10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, Its true that people can be effected by various diseases using mobile. These diseases may be headache, hearing problem even cancer. But now a days mobile is essential for our daily life. So, we need it much than avoiding diseases.

Most reactions

Latest posts