What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Head phones/Ear buds for iPad

Dochoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried several headphones with my iPad (iPad 1 with 32 Gb) and I just can't get enough sound from them. I want to connect the headphones directly to the iPad without using a dock. (Less stuff to carry on a plane)

So I either need a set that is very efficient, or a set that is amplified.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum - :)

An oft asked question - you might want to do a search which will bring up THIS THREAD, which may address your issue?

Just perchance, have you checked the volume level set on your iPad - as you likely already know the volume can be adjusted easily in several ways - good luck!

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Speaker volume and headphone volume is set differently so check you're turning it up when the headphones are actually plugged in. Also, some headphones do sound louder than others, or you could try noise isolating or noise cancelling versions.

Another thing would be to consider something like the Fiio headphone pre-amps.

OP
D

Dochoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Giradman

I checked the volume control on the iPad and even at flank speed the sets I am using are not loud enough.

I am not into earsplitting.

It is entirely possible that I am only trying cheap sets and if I would just spend a little extra cash I would be happy. I looked at the Klipsch S4s today but I am terrified that I will buy a set and not get any more volume from them than from the tin can and string I have already tried.

Best Buy has a 30 day return with no restock fee (I think they finally started listening to the customer's complaints about their Attila the Hun practices) but I am hoping to have someone tell me that there is a real difference in efficiency between headphone sets before I spring.

Thanks for your response. The thread was helpful. In fact, I think I might slide over to that thread and post to see about possible expertise in that specific area.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dochoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To incapete

Your response is what I am looking for.

It would be nice to have a cross section of the various sets categorized in buds, open and covering with metrics on efficiency (ability to produce sound - that is my definition and possibly not exactly appropriate) and on frequency response.

I saw the comments on "Creative" on the thread that GiradMan mentioned. I guess I am not surprised because Creative makes nice stuff for pretty good prices.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dochoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I answered my own question...

.....I bought an inexpensive set of Koss phones...(KTX-6) and the volume is fine. I suppose the situation is that I just happened to be trying very inefficient phones. They were all very cheap sets and so the discovery is not much of a surprise.

Syph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having trouble with no sound coming from one ear piece. I have checked and made sure the jack is all the way in. If I wiggle it a little I get the sound. Is my iPad damaged?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am having trouble with no sound coming from one ear piece. I have checked and made sure the jack is all the way in. If I wiggle it a little I get the sound. Is my iPad damaged?

Hi Syph - welcome to the forum! :)

You've posted into another thread which may not be looked at anymore, and your question may be a different issue - so, might want to start a 'new' thread concerning your problem so as to receive some responses - just a thought - :)

Now for just a beginning suggestion, have you tried 'other' earphones in the iPad? The obvious question is whether the problem is the iPad and/or the earphones being used; so I'd first recommend trying another set of head phones (whatever their format) - good luck!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's unlikely your iPad is damaged. It's very likely that you have a problem with the connection/cable, likely where the jack connects to the cable. If your earphones/headphones don't have a removable cable, buy a pair that does. The ones you have are toast.

The Shure SE-215's are among the best for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322023577&sr=8-1

P
.S. They'll also solve the OP's volume problem.

Last edited:

Most reactions