What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HDMI cable for IPad2 ... IMHO, of limited use

Vulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So the iPAD is a portable tablet with limited disk space (max:64GB) and average-definition cameras. On top of that, the form factor is not awkward for using it as a primary camera.

Why would you want to hook it up to a TV ? especially if you have a 1920x1080 resolution HDTV. The only reason to hook it up would be to watch the stores videos ... which is not going to be a whole lot even if you have a 64GB version of the pad. Moreover, it kills the portability factor of the iPAD.

If you do plan to look at your iMovie edited clips ... you are better off transferring it to your iTunes-loaded PC/MAC and transferring it from there. I don't believe one can offload from the iPAD2 directly to a USB drive.

In short ... connecting the iPad2 to the TV offer very limited functionality.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you got to think outside of the box, a lot teachers, lecturers and sorts would use this a hell of a lot!

kschles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an Amazon Prime member, I now have access to 5,000 streaming movies. Haven't tried the service yet. I suppose if it relies on flash, I'm outta luck; but if not I could see this being useful if hooked up to my TV.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Or travelling and using it to view movies/content in a hotel/relatives house etc.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
personally for me, the tv option is a major deal maker. not because i have specific pro uses for it, but because i've personally been after this option for years on my Touch. it'll be soooo much fun to me personally, and for domestic use. i'll be.....

* able to watch any of my ripped dvds or downloaded videos/tv shows. with an average of 1 gig per 2 hour movie thats a lot for me with a 64 gb limit. i can go around with my ipad and watch and share my movies at mine or my friends or my families houses.

* internet. i can browse the internet in company, like with my family and wife, not having to crowd around the tablet. streaming the various tv players will be awesome. shopping and general browsing on the tv will also be amazing.

* gaming. i can share in and play on a larger screen all my games with my family/nephews for example. excellent. how fun will that be? and with sound!

* business - i can demonstrate my work on huge plasma tv's to my clients in their offices. 1080 ressy is large enough to impress believe me.

cant think of anything more to me at the mo, but sharing and not just hogging the 'small' screen to myself i cant wait for. ok, sound and resolution might not suit some of the purists out there, but for the general masses it'll more than suit. i've been in the media presentation prof for over 20 years and i know you dont need the highest possible output to make for major enjoyment.

it's definitely a sharing thing. if you're a kid in your bedroom and have nobody to worry about other than yourself then yup, what a waste of money cable.

Last edited:

sillyrabbitt123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an Amazon Prime member, I now have access to 5,000 streaming movies. Haven't tried the service yet. I suppose if it relies on flash, I'm outta luck; but if not I could see this being useful if hooked up to my TV.

buy Playon it will work with that and your home pc.

GUSHandGO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or travelling and using it to view movies/content in a hotel/relatives house etc.

+1

As it is, I use my netbook and an HDMI cable to stream netflix whenever I'm on vacation. So many hotels now have HDTVs in even their cheapest rooms.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Netflix on iPad, the best! With my iPad jail broken, and having the display out app, everything on my iPad is mirrored to my big screen using the composite cables. So I can watch thousands of movies from my iPad to my t.v. Don't get any better thn that..lol. Plus playing games looks great on the t.v. Hooked up. I'm doing all this with just my ipad1. Don't count us out yet ;-)

luckyleo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will use it for Netflix, presentations, MLB network, slide shows, and I'm sure many other things. I'm not big on making my own videos so no big deal for me.

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Netflix on iPad, the best! With my iPad jail broken, and having the display out app, everything on my iPad is mirrored to my big screen using the composite cables. So I can watch thousands of movies from my iPad to my t.v. Don't get any better thn that..lol. Plus playing games looks great on the t.v. Hooked up. I'm doing all this with just my ipad1. Don't count us out yet ;-)

You do realize that the HDMI adapter works for Ipad 1. Apple Digital AV Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You do realize that the HDMI adapter works for Ipad 1. Apple Digital AV Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)
If u read the small fine print on apple website, it only does video out for ipad1, it doesn't mirror like on ipad2. I'm sure Netflix probably supports native video out. But i still have like a 50-60 projection big screen do I doubt has plugs to use that dv cable. Once I get a new one, then I'll get that cable. I like the mirroring out with display out, since it shows everything that's on my iPad screen. If i werent jail broken n used either the new dv cable or my composite, it be severely limited on functionality. Meaning only show vids or apps that support video out. Not completely mirror the iPad like i do now jail broken and with composite cables. I had hooked it up to my pops huge plasma screen and it looked great with the composite cables. Hopefully display out will support the new dv adapter cable also

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If u read the small fine print on apple website, it only does video out for ipad1, it doesn't mirror like on ipad2. I'm sure Netflix probably supports native video out. But i still have like a 50-60 projection big screen do I doubt has plugs to use that dv cable. Once I get a new one, then I'll get that cable. I like the mirroring out with display out, since it shows everything that's on my iPad screen. If i werent jail broken n used either the new dv cable or my composite, it be severely limited on functionality. Meaning only show vids or apps that support video out. Not completely mirror the iPad like i do now jail broken and with composite cables. I had hooked it up to my pops huge plasma screen and it looked great with the composite cables. Hopefully display out will support the new dv adapter cable also

Damn fine print! :D

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting it. But don't you have to sit right in front of the TV to use it? How long is the cord? The ad just shows the adapter and doesn't mention lengths or anything.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
totemynote said:
I was thinking of getting it. But don't you have to sit right in front of the TV to use it? How long is the cord? The ad just shows the adapter and doesn't mention lengths or anything.

Oh, I see. The length is determined by a separate HDMI cable.

Most reactions

Latest posts