What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HDMI-Adaptor or Apple TV?

stooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

After using my iPad for a while, I now feel the urge for TV-Output. Some Apps are already prepared for it, also I would like to watch Podcasts on the big screen.

If I am not mistaken, there are two ways of doing this, either a HDMI-Adaptor or the Apple TV Box.
The adaptor is around 40 Euros (which I find ridiculously expensive for what it really is), the Apple TV is around 100 Euros (which does not strike me as too much in comparison).

But can I do basically the same with both?

Will either one show *everything* that is now on my iPad's screen on the TV, including sound?
Or will this only work with special apps?

I kinda fancy this without a cable connected to the iPad, but how will constantly streaming to Apple TV by WiFi affect battery-runtime?

And lastly, if I go for the Apple TV, will it stream *regular* moviefiles (like .avi, .mkv) and *regular* musicfiles (like .mp3) from any PC to the TV or do I HAVE to have iTunes on the PC to stream from? Knowing Apple, I fear it's the latter ...

If anybody already has a HDMI-Adaptor or the Apple TV, I'd be very interested in your experiences and suggestions.

Cheers!

CooteyBug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stooney said:
Hi everybody,

After using my iPad for a while, I now feel the urge for TV-Output. Some Apps are already prepared for it, also I would like to watch Podcasts on the big screen.

If I am not mistaken, there are two ways of doing this, either a HDMI-Adaptor or the Apple TV Box.
The adaptor is around 40 Euros (which I find ridiculously expensive for what it really is), the Apple TV is around 100 Euros (which does not strike me as too much in comparison).

But can I do basically the same with both?

Will either one show *everything* that is now on my iPad's screen on the TV, including sound?
Or will this only work with special apps?

I kinda fancy this without a cable connected to the iPad, but how will constantly streaming to Apple TV by WiFi affect battery-runtime?

And lastly, if I go for the Apple TV, will it stream *regular* moviefiles (like .avi, .mkv) and *regular* musicfiles (like .mp3) from any PC to the TV or do I HAVE to have iTunes on the PC to stream from? Knowing Apple, I fear it's the latter ...

If anybody already has a HDMI-Adaptor or the Apple TV, I'd be very interested in your experiences and suggestions.

Cheers!

The HDMI Adapter will show everything including sound. Apple t.v. will only work with apps that support AirPlay. When iOS 5 is released your iPad 2 will be able to mirror everything thru a apple t.v. With the HDMI adapter what ever you see on your iPad will be seen on your t.v. With the apple t.v. you can stream a movie in the back ground and still use your iPad as normal when watching your movie.

I haven't noticed too much battery drain while streaming. I have watched at least two movies without having to have it plugged in.

As far as streaming movies from a PC, I haven't done it so I'm not sure. I only stream movies downloaded directly to my iPad 2. Anything streamed to the apple t.v. will need to be thru iTunes.

If you have decent wifi I would recommend going with a apple t.v. When iOS 5 is released there will be no need for a HDMI adapter. For the price you can't beat the apple t.v. I love steaming movies to my apple t.v. I have streamed movies for my kids in another room while I used my iPad as i normally do, you can't do that with a cable.

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the HDMI cable on my iPad 2 and apple tv. Apple tv is pretty much useless, since I have yet to see an option to push content to it. Also be aware that the HDMI out only works as a mirror for all apps on the iPad 2 and is limited to certain apps on the iPad 1

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm just getting to grips with my Apple TV but I have just started using TVout Genie, this adds a lot of functionality (despite the poor app store reviews). Definitely worth looking into.

The Archangel

Papayafields

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I would go with the adapter. Too much apple-esque restrictions on the apple tv and i would rather spend 40 euros than 100.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stooney said:
After using my iPad for a while, I now feel the urge for TV-Output. i can't wait for iOS 5 for this urge you speak of.

The adaptor is around 40 Euros (which I find ridiculously expensive for what it really is), the Apple TV is around 100 Euros (which does not strike me as too much in comparison). worth it in my books.

But can I do basically the same with both? yes.

I kinda fancy this without a cable connected to the iPad, but how will constantly streaming to Apple TV by WiFi affect battery-runtime? once it is running, you can put iPad to sleep, and it will keep streaming.

And lastly, if I go for the Apple TV, will it stream *regular* moviefiles (like .avi, .mkv) and *regular* musicfiles (like .mp3) from any PC to the TV or do I HAVE to have iTunes on the PC to stream from? Knowing Apple, I fear it's the latter ... right now we use iTunes to airplay our music and vids using the airplay tab in iTunes(have to be in iTunes library), but i prefer using one of my devices...did not hear a mention about airplaying media from my Mac(LION), which i think should be compatible, guess i will wait and see.

If anybody already has a HDMI-Adaptor or the Apple TV, I'd be very interested in your experiences and suggestions. i have both, used the cable twice, apple tv a lot..

Cheers!

The HDMI Adapter will show everything including sound. Apple t.v. will only work with apps that support AirPlay. When iOS 5 is released your iPad 2 will be able to mirror everything thru a apple t.v. With the HDMI adapter what ever you see on your iPad will be seen on your t.v. With the apple t.v. you can stream a movie in the back ground and still use your iPad as normal when watching your movie.

I haven't noticed too much battery drain while streaming. I have watched at least two movies without having to have it plugged in.

As far as streaming movies from a PC, I haven't done it so I'm not sure. I only stream movies downloaded directly to my iPad 2. Anything streamed to the apple t.v. will need to be thru iTunes.

If you have decent wifi I would recommend going with a apple t.v. When iOS 5 is released there will be no need for a HDMI adapter. For the price you can't beat the apple t.v. I love steaming movies to my apple t.v. I have streamed movies for my kids in another room while I used my iPad as i normally do, you can't do that with a cable.
i repeat whatever he said, especially in bold..

I have the HDMI cable on my iPad 2 and apple tv. Apple tv is pretty much useless, since I have yet to see an option to push content to it. the apple tv is my main netflix streamer, although my sony xbr9 TV, PS3, xbox360, iDevices...my apple tv have a nice netflix interface(app).....apple tv connected to my 7.1 surround(via optical, no need for tv to be on), to airplay music from iDevices anywhere in the household, wife kill it.......kids make use of streaming their media from their iPad to the tv, now whats gonna happen when iOS 5 comes and they can stream EVERYTHING, gonna have to get a second apple tv or third(i have 5 kids)

Also be aware that the HDMI out only works as a mirror for all apps on the iPad 2 and is limited to certain apps on the iPad 1 unless you are jailbroken.

Personally I would go with the adapter. i love the wireless freedom, to even suggest that... imagine being cornered next to the tv, with only a 6 foot hdmi cable, now thats gonna be bad on the eyes, trying to watch the tv from that close....i wanna be able to sit about 15 ft away and constantly touching an iDevice to entertain a crowd and not be stationed at the tv with a cable.....maybe poster was just thinking about streaming a 2hr movie.....but when iOS 5 lands, and you can display safari, mail, text, etc etc from your device onto the big screen and help your eyes out, wireless instead of grabbing a cable is what I'm talking about.

Too much apple-esque restrictions on the apple tv and i would rather spend 40 euros than 100. Could you explain this to me, i don't understand?

apple tv is an amazing add-on to any home entertainment centre, glad i have one.

and about a week or 2 ago, someone managed to run a HTML5 app using a web browser to play a game on the apple tv(jailbroken of course), and the addition of adding XBMC is a BIG BIG deal to a lot of people.
with more to come......................and what is already available......

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I started with a TVout cable and got tired of plugin/disconnecting the device each time. I finally got the Apple TV 2 and I'm quite happy with it.

Pros:
- can play Netflix
- can play Youtube, and be connected to my account
- great for watching podcasts, just put your selection into the favorites and enjoy
- while watching a movie or a podcast, I can use my iPad for something else (like looking at some details on imdb)
- with iTunes, can play music just using the remote
- great selection of streaming radios

Cons
- Some apps do not support Airplay, but things have improved lately
- keyboard is a bit hard to use. But with the app "Remote", it's easier

VicoPad addict!

Papayafields

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple tv just seems useless to me. Some people might not want to upgrade to iOS5 and being restricted to airplay compatible apps only seems limited to me. I already have netflix in the ps3 and airvideo for streaming, plus my ipad displays just fine on the tv (wirelessly) without paying apple an extra 100 bucks. I was just telling OP my opinion on what he should get.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
S

stooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your valuable comments!

By reading the replies, I guess the AppleTV is the right choice for me. We have no Netflix where I live, but as far as I know IOS5 is about to be released very soon and if then I can mirror everything to the AppleTV it will surely be the best choice.

I have no iTunes on the PC on which all my Media Files are, only on the Notebook and only because the iPad needs it.
I might consider installing it on my main PC too if it!s absolutely necessary for streaming to the Box. Still very much an iTunes-Hater though ;-)

There is an App "Stream To Me", will check if it's possible to use it with AppleTV too. Then there would be no need for iTunes.

Again, thanks to all of you!

OP
S

stooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more question: I just read a few things about the AppleTV on amazon.com and other sites. Somewhere they mentioned an App for Remote Controlling the AppleTV from the iPad.

I searched for Apple TV and Remote in the Appstore but did not find anything that looked exactly like that.

Can anyone give me the name of this App please?

Thanks!

OP
S

stooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stooney said:
One more question: I just read a few things about the AppleTV on amazon.com and other sites. Somewhere they mentioned an App for Remote Controlling the AppleTV from the iPad.

I searched for Apple TV and Remote in the Appstore but did not find anything that looked exactly like that.

Thanks!

Edit: I think I found it already ... Did not come up by searching "Apple TV Remote", but jut looking for "Apple Remote" did the trick ;-)

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
stooney said:

Thanks!

It's called Remote, simple as that. Seach for "Remote" or "Apple"

In the Canadian AppStore, it's the 1st result

VicoPad addict!

Attachments

• image-3421311826.png
    image-3421311826.png
    256.6 KB · Views: 2,185

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
off topic for a sec, but for those that don't know, if you ever need a wireless mouse and keyboard for mac or pc and have wifi access, best app is mobile mouse pro.
there is a free version too below to try out.
4741d1313936026-hdmi-adaptor-apple-tv-image-3421311826.png

StarFlyr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the HDMI adaptor and have decided it's mostly worthless as I have NO need to mirror my iPad to my 46" HD monitor. The ONLY reason I bought it was to perhaps play movies on a hotel room screen. Some of the newer hotels had these with spare HDMI inputs.

However, the movie I tried on my home system with this method did not fill the screen (letterboxes on both the top and sides. Perhaps it was the movie I tried. I've since "air played" a couple of iTune rental movies with excellent results. Still, for the most part, I prefer to DL iTunes movies directly to my ATV2 (and ATV1). Seems like that would involve less overhead than the airplay option. That's my 2¢.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i don't think i would ever airplay a movie, i would only do music, pics, videos....and apps, safari, presentations, text,,,random stuff when iOS 5 releases.

I need wireless mirroring for my Mac....although there is wireless HD signals available for tv hook-ups....i need airplay.

Most reactions

Latest posts