What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having trouble with HTML5 Video on iPad

slamb0513

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am testing the ability to load videos to our website in HTML5 using an mp4. The MP4 is encoded using H.264 and AAC. A lot of our senior leaders now have ipads and most of our video is in flash and will not play. I have written the HTML5 code and tested in on a desktop using IE9 and Chrome. Both play the HTML5 MP4 fine. The code "falls-back" to flv if there is no support for HTML5. In testing IE8 and Firefox (I only posted an mp4 video for this test) they both play the flash file as the fallback.

When I test this on the ipad in Safari, all I get is the black box sized to what I want the video. It will lot play the video or load the controls like Chrome will.

The URL is timken.com/sites/momentoftrust/en-us/Pages/html5test.aspx. Can someone look at the code and see if I did something wrong that the ipad will not play it? I encoded the video using Miro Video Converter using the ipad setting.

Last edited:
OP
S

slamb0513

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The video is not in flash, it is an mp4 contained in HTML5 code. The browser "falls-back" to Flash if there is not HTML5 support. iPads play mp4 and Safari supports HTML5.

marcou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there I'm having the same problem, however the video plays when the iPad is connected to a 3G network but display a black rectangle if the iPad is connected to a WiFi network.

I checked out your link and it appears you have fixed the problem as the video played fine when I viewed it with my iPad.

How did you fix this? I've spent hours trying to solve this but having no luck!

OP
S

slamb0513

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My problem was the correct MIME type on the server. My server had no support for MP4 video, so it was just returning back an error. Once I added that MIME type, everything played just fine.

Hi there I'm having the same problem, however the video plays when the iPad is connected to a 3G network but display a black rectangle if the iPad is connected to a WiFi network.

I checked out your link and it appears you have fixed the problem as the video played fine when I viewed it with my iPad.

How did you fix this? I've spent hours trying to solve this but having no luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts