What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

have unlimted web on my iphones..Any ideas for data plans for ipad3?

Adrian23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been with at&t for 5 years now and currently have unlimted web on my iphones can this in anyway be transfered to my ipad3? Any ideas for unlimited data plans or not to expensive plans?

thanks

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AFAIK, no U.S. carrier allows sharing of unlimited on iPad and iPhone if you're trying to maintain the plan you're on now.

If you want to tether, they make you drop unlimited, for instance. There are jailbroken people who secretly tether phone and tablet, but you'd have to get specifics from them, and if AT&T finds out, you risk losing your unlimited. (They basically look for surges in data use.)

There are new bucket data plans that allow sharing of data among devices, but they're so expensive compared with any grandfathered unlimited plan that there aren't many scenarios when it'd be worthwhile to switch plans.

I have grandfathered unlimited with AT&T for phone as well as iPad, but I've been paying for them separately because there's no blending of plans allowed.

OP
A

Adrian23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AFAIK, no U.S. carrier allows sharing of unlimited on iPad and iPhone if you're trying to maintain the plan you're on now.

If you want to tether, they make you drop unlimited, for instance. There are jailbroken people who secretly tether phone and tablet, but you'd have to get specifics from them, and if AT&T finds out, you risk losing your unlimited. (They basically look for surges in data use.)

There are new bucket data plans that allow sharing of data among devices, but they're so expensive compared with any grandfathered unlimited plan that there aren't many scenarios when it'd be worthwhile to switch plans.

I have grandfathered unlimited with AT&T for phone as well as iPad, but I've been paying for them separately because there's no blending of plans allowed.

How do you grandfather an account?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you grandfather an account?

A grandfathered account is just any old plan that a carrier has allowed you to keep despite them having discontinued offering it.

You don't do anything; as long as the company lets you keep it, then it's a grandfathered account. Carriers do that as a courtesy; they're not obligated to let you keep a plan indefinitely, and some carriers eliminate grandfathered accounts after a time.

If I remember right, Verizon's leadership recently said that it plans to phase out its grandfathered unlimited plans, for example, forcing all those customers into plans with data limits or higher prices.

I mentioned grandfathered accounts because your phone unlimited plan is probably such if you've had the same plan for five years. You probably would have to pay more or give up unlimited if you tweaked your plan.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts