What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have I been conned ??

venster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. First poster so ignore my ignorance if I am getting something wrong here..

I bought what I believed to be an iPad with Retina Display a fortnight ago. Having a look around on some forums it seems the Ipad with Retina comes with the new lightening connector. My iPad has the older 30 pin connector.

Have I been conned?

I can't check anything on it as I'm at work until late tonight. I'd like to know before I go back to the shop and maybe make a fool of myself. I definately thought I'd bought the Retina Display because I paid £399 for it from Comet....

Thanks

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are two versions of the iPad with retina display. They can have either the 30 pin or the new lightning connector, so this is not the definitive test to determine the model you have.

Edit: according to the Apple UK website, the iPad 2 would have set you back £329, so you probably have the older version of the retina display model; what we refer to here (somewhat incorrectly) as the iPad 3. You could try taking it back to Comet and asking for the newer model with the lightning connector. If only two weeks have passed, this is what I would do.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
venster said:
Hi. First poster so ignore my ignorance if I am getting something wrong here..

I bought what I believed to be an iPad with Retina Display a fortnight ago. Having a look around on some forums it seems the Ipad with Retina comes with the new lightening connector. My iPad has the older 30 pin connector.

Have I been conned?

I can't check anything on it as I'm at work until late tonight. I'd like to know before I go back to the shop and maybe make a fool of myself. I definately thought I'd bought the Retina Display because I paid £399 for it from Comet....

Thanks

If you got it from Comet then you have protection. It appears that the most likely scenario here is that you have an iPad 3rd generation which does indeed have a retina display, I'm not certain of the dates (and you aren't specific) but at the time you bought it, it may have well been the most current model.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a 3nd generation iPad rather than a forth generation iPad. If you paid full price, you should get the forth gen if you bought it after November 2, 2012.

None of this means you got conned.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Deleted - multiple posts appeared before mine which added nothing to the ongoing discussion - sorry!

Last edited:
OP
V

venster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel - small world, I live along the road from you in Ashford !

So there's no way of checking then - you have to take their word they gave you the correct version. I can find exact date later from receipt but it was around the 23/24 October.

Obviously I'd like to get this sorted asap considering the state Comet are in at the moment...

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
venster said:
Gabriel - small world, I live along the road from you in Ashford !

So there's no way of checking then - you have to take their word they gave you the correct version. I can find exact date later from receipt but it was around the 23/24 October.

Obviously I'd like to get this sorted asap considering the state Comet are in at the moment...

I go through Ashford daily on my way to work (and back obviously)! I'm guessing that I even know the branch that you bought it from!

On the back of the iPad is a model number, google the model number and you will find out exactly which model you have. From the dates given it wouldn't be an iPad 4 but worth checking that you haven't been sold an iPad 2.

The Archangel

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
definitely interested in the outcome of this.

OP
V

venster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. I'll check later that it's not a 2.

I cheekily rang the Apple Store to see if they'd swap it. But obviously they wouldn't...

UPDATE....

I checked my serial number on Apple website and it is a 3rd gen ipad ....phew!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts