What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hauppauge live TV streaming to safari browser

Deenybird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hauppauge just launched a product that claims to stream live TV to your iPad's browser called WinTV extend. It is a free download for anyone with a Hauppauge tuner. I am using the 950Q.

The problem is that there is basically zero documentation that explains the steps and I haven't been able to get it to work. Here's the only instructions I've found:
All you need on your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch is a Safari browser pointed to your PC at home.
How do you point your browser to your PC? 192.168.... but what port? I've got crappy OTA digital reception and can't tell if my problem is in the streaming or the terrible reception.

Is anyone else trying this?

BassGear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hauppauge just launched a product that claims to stream live TV to your iPad's browser called WinTV extend. It is a free download for anyone with a Hauppauge tuner. I am using the 950Q.

The problem is that there is basically zero documentation that explains the steps and I haven't been able to get it to work. Here's the only instructions I've found:
All you need on your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch is a Safari browser pointed to your PC at home.
How do you point your browser to your PC? 192.168.... but what port? I've got crappy OTA digital reception and can't tell if my problem is in the streaming or the terrible reception.

Is anyone else trying this?

This is NOT free software. You need version 7.2 which is ONLY available through their website (pay downloads not available) and only via snail mail. How do I know? I ordered their CD last week.

OP
D

Deenybird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it is free to existing customers. The problem that you are experiencing is due to the fact that they expected existing customers to have kept their original cd. No one can blame you, it was a miracle I still had mine.

Edit: it's all spelled out here in their installation note.
Installation note:
A valid WinTV application CDROM will be needed to install this WinTV v7 version. Any WinTV v6 or WinTV 7 application CD can be used during the install. If you do not have your original WinTV CD-ROM but would like to update to this WinTV v7 version, you can purchase a new CD on the Hauppauge webstore for $9.95

Last edited:

jizmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have none of that, what do you need to buy to make it work for you?

And has anyone tried it yet? Good? Choppy? Blocky?

Anyone...? Anyone...? Bueller....? Bueller....?

OP
D

Deenybird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
their website says this:
WinTV v7 currently supports the following products:
All WinTV-HVR digital TV tuners for North America, plus the WinTV-NOVA and WinTV-MiniStick products in Europe and Asia.
and obviously a PC to use with the tuner and a TV signal.

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just recieved a email from Hauppauge saying that livetv extend (this is needed to stream to ipad) will be by cd only costing $0.95 jim_joh

OP
D

Deenybird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Engadget is reporting it this way:
It will be available directly from Hauppauge for $9.95, although the company is making a free upgrade available to current owners of WinTV-HVRs.
Source -http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/14/hauppage-wintv-gets-wifi-streaming-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch/

kravdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Deeny, so i assume that you still haven't been able to make this work? I read somewhere that they didn't think it would work over3g. I only have my wifi right now, but I had to order the cd as well (what is this, 1998?). Anyways, once i ge the cd in the mail,I will be working to figure this out... Bass is doing the same, so it's up to the 3 of us.... I cant wait to be able to have my directv on my iPad no matter where I might be.

kravdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an update for those of you lurking on this subject...

It appears that hauppauge did the press release before this was actually available, based upon info over on their support forum.

Deeny, I see you are active over there too... Let me know if you figure something out.

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just rec'd the Hauppauge wintv extend today and a little confusing setting it up but it works( I used a . in the address rather than :). A little dissappointed on the screen size but will be great to watch tv in my garage when using the treadmill. jim_joh

kravdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my cd in today as well. The wintv extend actual tv screen is only about 1/4 of the ipad screen... It is pretty blocky when zoomed to full screen, buit much better than the justin.tv app...

Overall, I am happy, but i don't think i would be going out and buying a tv tuner card for my pc just for this utility...then again, i can say that bc I already have it!

gekkota

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an update for those of you lurking on this subject...

It appears that hauppauge did the press release before this was actually available, based upon info over on their support forum.

Deeny, I see you are active over there too... Let me know if you figure something out.

Where is the forum on the Hauppage website? I can't seem to find it, and I am interested in seeing what other people's experiences have been. I have their HVR-1600 tuner installed on my PC--it came installed with the Windows Media Center--and I want to stream to my iPad. Since I don't have the installation CD, I guess I will need to order it from their website, but I want to see if others have had any issues first.
Thanks.

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I rec'd my wintv extend cd last week and I am watching the tv live news everyday while on the treadmill in the garage. I enlarge the screen to full and it looks fine to me.No problems but I am only recieving 13 channels rather the the 100 I have on cable which is no big deal.. Now I want to add this, I used to use my note book win7 watching hulu but almost every day yhe computer would have to restart or something else and it always took 5 to 10 mins to get it going again which was a pain in you know where. I does not happen with the ipad except once and to restart again took about 30 secs. I never want to go back to the notebook, jim_joh

Most reactions

Latest posts