What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the iPhone 4 Stolen the iPad’s Thunder?

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Is the iPhone 4 an iPad killer? That’s the question posed by Dan Frommer on Forbes’ Velocity tech blog. Of course it’s mainly just a juicy headline to get you to read the feature, but I kind of know what he’s getting at. Although it would be ridiculous to suggest that the iPhone 4 could “kill†the iPad - the two are completely different entities, after all - the media frenzy surrounding the iPhone 4’s June 24th release has certainly drawn attention away from the iPad.

As Frommer points out, since the iPad’s release, it’s been the centre of a marketing and media blitz as the must-have gadget of the moment, but now the talk is understandably all about the iPhone 4.

Frommer ponders if the iPhone 4’s much-vaunted “retina display†will put the iPad's screen to shame.

“Does this mean our iPad display will look like crap after spending a few hours with the iPhone 4?†he frets.

Frommer concludes that it's inevitable that the iPad will be temporarily driven off the front pages and the blogs next week, but once iPhone 4 launch fever has dissipated a little, the two devices will be happily coexisting side-by-side, with the iPad being more of a home-based unit and the iPhone 4 being something to keep with you in your pocket on the go.

Source: Forbes.com

planemechanic

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Is the iPhone 4 an iPad killer? That’s the question posed by Dan Frommer on Forbes’ Velocity tech blog. Of course it’s mainly just a juicy headline to get you to read the feature, but I kind of know what he’s getting at. Although it would be ridiculous to suggest that the iPhone 4 could “kill†the iPad - the two are completely different entities, after all - the media frenzy surrounding the iPhone 4’s June 24th release has certainly drawn attention away from the iPad.

As Frommer points out, since the iPad’s release, it’s been the centre of a marketing and media blitz as the must-have gadget of the moment, but now the talk is understandably all about the iPhone 4.

Frommer ponders if the iPhone 4’s much-vaunted “retina display†will put the iPad's screen to shame.

“Does this mean our iPad display will look like crap after spending a few hours with the iPhone 4?†he frets.

Frommer concludes that it's inevitable that the iPad will be temporarily driven off the front pages and the blogs next week, but once iPhone 4 launch fever has dissipated a little, the two devices will be happily coexisting side-by-side, with the iPad being more of a home-based unit and the iPhone 4 being something to keep with you in your pocket on the go.

Source: Forbes.com

I think you answered your own question.

They are two different products with some overlap, but neither replaces the other.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It just makes me look forward to the next version of the iPad, better screen, more RAM, maybe better chip and storage to say nothing of cameras and video editing.
Can't wait to give this one to my daughters when the next version is in my hands :)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in a motel doing stuff on the web with my iPad. My eyes could not do this on an iPhone no matter high resolution the screen was. There are those will want the iPhone, and those who need the iPad.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see the pixel difference between my Moto Droid (480 x 854 Resolution on a 3.7" screen) and the iPad....Droid is much clearer. But...you don't have to hold the iPad 6-8" from your face to read something either.....

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, I think there is some truth to the "stealing thunder" statement. I'm going to get an iPhone 4 for sure, I also want the video features, face time and the like, but for me, it is not as revolutionary as the iPad. The iPhone is well known, everybody wants a smart phone, they can all take video, they all support some kind of apps.

Sure, Apple does it all the best, but they had the guts to laugh in the face of ten years of failed tablet launches and make it work. That's more revolutionary than a phone any day.

Roundplay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gomuvn.com
And now the new Mac mini announced. Is that an iPad killer? It's just one big release after another lately from Apple. But no, the iphone 4 and new mini are iterative, though major, updates to existing product lines. The iPad is totally new, completely amazing, and revolutionary. Can't wait to see what we'll have when iPad 4 is announced in a few years time.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in a motel doing stuff on the web with my iPad. My eyes could not do this on an iPhone no matter high resolution the screen was. There are those will want the iPhone, and those who need the iPad.

iam right there with you on the iphone screen ..i could not really use the iphone screen at times inless i heard it at arms length with my reading glass on ..so i love the ipad screen :D

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

Agree 100%. And as everyone has said (except the troll) they are two different devices.....

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't bother replying I won't ever be back here.

Don't kid yourself. :) You went to the trouble of joining just to put down the product and its users, and that's not even close to rational behavior. You'll keep at it, just like the other trolls that post here.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't bother replying I won't ever be back here.

Don't kid yourself. :) You went to the trouble of joining just to put down the product and its users, and that's not even close to rational behavior. You'll keep at it, just like the other trolls that post here.

:D

Mods should post Emails of Trolls....

Most reactions

Latest posts