What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone worn out their Home button?

jpp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone worn out their Home button?

As I'm brand new to the iPad/Apple world, I was wondering if the Home button is the only way you can wake up the iPad with. Is it true that the magnetic cover also does, suggesting that a little magnet held in the right place would do the same thing?

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you press the sleep/power button it bring up the slider to unlock it, but really don't think anyone will be able to wear out their button, or at least I hope not lol

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sliding the Mute switch or activating your Bluetooth keyboard will also wake up the iPad.

Tim

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is possible. Well, at least it was when I had my iPhone- I had to press it really hard for it to work, and double-pressing doesn't always work. Problems started around a year in after I bought my iPhone. Not too sure about the iPad, but I figured it's possible since they seem to be similarly manufactured and assembled.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope not, ipad is only 8 months old, but my iphone 3gs is coming up on a year lol

jaymz77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my first iPhone (2G) right after launch, still own it. I have pressed the home button a million times and it still feels like new. I now have an iPad 2 and a 3GS, both have had no issues what so ever :)

OP
jpp

jpp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sliding the Mute switch or activating your Bluetooth keyboard will also wake up the iPad.

Tim
No, unfortunately my Zagg Bluetooth keyboard doesn't. But, sliding the Mute Switch does :).

I was hopping for some trick like multiple taps in quick succession would do it. Seems to me that that sort of "gesture" would be unlikely to happen in a briefcase or some other cover/pouch that the iPad might be carried in.

Last edited:

jaymackelle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David79 said:
If you press the sleep/power button it bring up the slider to unlock it, but really don't think anyone will be able to wear out their button, or at least I hope not lol

You are right but I think that the sleep/power button is more likely to be damaged by overuse

M325i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wonder the same thing,(how easily can you ware out the buttons on the IPad) i'm constantly double tapping the home button to clear all the open apps I have a horrible problem with doing that. And I always told myself my home button is going to get worn out really quick. I can't wait for the new updated xCode 4 gestures to come out, (hopefully for free) where you can just tap, swipe and flip to get home and do many other things.

beavery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When ios5 comes out it is my belief there will be gestures that replace the overuse of the home button. I'm not 100% but something like 2 finger swipes and the like.

Pensmith007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having trouble with the home button on my IPad right now. Sometimes it is fine and other times I can not get it to wake up the IPad or too get me out of an app.

OP
jpp

jpp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David79 said:

You are right but I think that the sleep/power button is more likely to be damaged by overuse
Just a quick update on this. I forgot that the Apple cover turns the iPad on and off. So, I experimented with a fridge magnet and found that the magnetic switch is just below (to the right or centre) of the Volume buttons.

I cut out just a square cm of a typical magnetic fridge sticker and found that it would turn the iPad off. The nice thing about this method of switching, is that you don't have to swipe the screen to unlock the screen. Not sure how you would go about holding it in place when the screen is in the "notebook" position..., but it's certainly a good way to overcome using the Home button.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I managed to wear out an iPhone 3G home button, but the hardware design of all the devices home buttons has improved since then, and it did take a couple of years of abuse!

No signs of wear on my launch iPad1 and it gets used a lot every day!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
I managed to wear out an iPhone 3G home button, but the hardware design of all the devices home buttons has improved since then, and it did take a couple of years of abuse!

No signs of wear on my launch iPad1 and it gets used a lot every day!

Ditto.
Except for the iPhone part. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts