What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone installed their ipad in a car?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing it for my car. I've been watching YouTube videos about it for a while. No one video has very detailed step by step instructions. Some are detailed in the building of the casing, but I have 0 knowledge on my vehicle. I want to install the iPad dock into the design, so the audio on the iPad will play through the speakers and when the car is on, it will charge the iPad.

I'm just curious if anyone here has done anything like this before? So I could ask for advice before doing something stupid to my car.

I know some people use suction cups or stands in their cars to hold the iPad. But my job is delivery, I leave my car running and get out to drop something off. I'd rather it be something more built-in to the car so someone doesn't just walk by, open the door, and yank it out.

Last edited:

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd rather it be something more built-in to the car so someone doesn't just walk by, open the door, and yank it out.

Where I grew up they would yank out the complete dashboard to get a hold of the radio.......Therefore if I leave the Ipad in the car it goes out of sight.

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JJK said:
Where I grew up they would yank out the complete dashboard to get a hold of the radio.......Therefore if I leave the Ipad in the car it goes out of sight.

Well this is very reassuring xD

douggiedam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'd be worried about break-ins too for people who just keep it open on display. Sonicrobby, have you searched through car forums to see if people have made stealth mounts to the dashboard? you'd prolly find results checking out a forum that's for whatever model/make of your car.

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I've decided against a hard mod of my dashboard to fit the iPad. But I did purchase a padholdr dash iPad holder. It bolts into the dashboard, and the iPad holder itself gets locked into place. So I don't need to worry about someone attempting a quick snatch, and I will be able to remove the iPad easily for when I'm not in the car. Once it arrives and i install it, I will let y'all know how it is :]

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did duct-tape my iPad to the windshield of my truck a couple of times in order to shoot video while I was driving. I also hung my iPhone from the CB mike using the belt clip from the OtterBox, and plugged it into the truck sound system via the headphone socket to supply a soundtrack.

Not sure this qualifies as an installation however.

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sonicrobby said:
I'm thinking about doing it for my car. I've been watching YouTube videos about it for a while. No one video has very detailed step by step instructions. Some are detailed in the building of the casing, but I have 0 knowledge on my vehicle. I want to install the iPad dock into the design, so the audio on the iPad will play through the speakers and when the car is on, it will charge the iPad.

I'm just curious if anyone here has done anything like this before? So I could ask for advice before doing something stupid to my car.

I know some people use suction cups or stands in their cars to hold the iPad. But my job is delivery, I leave my car running and get out to drop something off. I'd rather it be something more built-in to the car so someone doesn't just walk by, open the door, and yank it out.

I haven't purchased anything from this company, but here's what you seem to need to browse:
http://www.rammount.com/

Personally, I'm about to fabricate my own connector to a different brand "cradle" on their cup holder mount. Or maybe I also fabricate my own cup holder mount. My needs are slightly different than yours (greater portability, no need for security, etc.).

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Due to manufacturing troubles, they had to ship my padholdr in parts. Today the bracket came in, decided to install it and post some pictures for you guys. The remaining parts should be in sometime tomorrow. I will upload the final project when it's done!

Attachments

• image-2424944906.jpg
    image-2424944906.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 800
OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Finished

Attachments

• image-4216053138.jpg
    image-4216053138.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,616

johnbrodsky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ya I did it over my stock head unit with magnets so I can just pop it on and off ... Or I leave it in my glove box and use Tango remote from iPhone to find and choose songs. Works great!

Most reactions

Latest posts