What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard drive for ipad (kind of)

peterbus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just a neat trick if you have a spare portable hdd at home.

1/ take a portable hdd (500 gig) non powered.
add a iomega iconnect (configure wireless with your network router)
unplug from router
attach a travel router and vola an external hdd for your ipad.
downside is both the iconnect and the travel router need power but works 100%.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Made a post recently about a similar device - Cirago NUS1000. The Cirago is cheaper, but the Iomega looks nicer and appars to have better set-up software, especially for setting up accessing the drives via the internet. Downside is that it doesn't seem to natively support set-up as a Media Server or iTunes Server like the Cirago.

OP
P

peterbus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Made a post recently about a similar device - Cirago NUS1000. The Cirago is cheaper, but the Iomega looks nicer and appars to have better set-up software, especially for setting up accessing the drives via the internet. Downside is that it doesn't seem to natively support set-up as a Media Server or iTunes Server like the Cirago.
its not bad,
UPnP™ DLNA Certified® AV Media Server: provides the ability to stream photos, audio content and videos to a variety of media devices, such as game consoles (Microsoft Xbox® 360, Sony PlayStation® 3), audio bridges, iTunes™ players, picture frames, Iomega ScreenPlay products and more.
Photo Slideshow: integrated utility based on the Coolirisâ„¢ technology for quick browsing and sharing of pictures stored on connected hard drives.
Torrent Download Manager: the Iomega iConnect manages peer-to-peer file transfers without the need of a dedicated PC.
Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP): No touch, automatic transfer of photos from digital cameras via the USB port.

Total Data Protection:
  • Native security support with robust username and password authorized access.
  • RSA® BSAFE® technology protects installs and upgrades .
  • Data Protection Software: Iomega’s full suite of data protection software is available for download. The suite includes; Trend Microâ„¢ Internet Security, Iomega QuikProtect, Roxio Retrospect® Express Backup software, and MozyHomeâ„¢ Online Backup service.
Ease of use :
  • Simple 3-step setup process
  • User friendly web-based management interface
  • Web Interface accessible in 11 supported languages
Software Compatibility : Compatible with today’s most common backup software, web browsers, media devices and computers

Warranty: 3 years (with product registration)
(torrent download is crap) but the nearest hdd for the ipad is a wired connection.
it comes in for a 500 gig at $599.
this setup will cost about 170 eu or $200 inc hdd.:D

Davefewox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool. I have several port hard drives. I understand the setup...could you post an example of a "travel router". But I don't understand how or within which apps you would utilize the storage. Thx

Mattcity

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have the iOmega connect and can upload/download files, music, videos etc to the ipad via the internet using icab web browser, works really well for £60

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hopefully Apple will include a USB port on the next iPad so these wacky workarounds can stop.

OP
P

peterbus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool. I have several port hard drives. I understand the setup...could you post an example of a "travel router". But I don't understand how or within which apps you would utilize the storage. Thx
Look up amazon they have travel routers,a travel router has an Ethernet connection on the back and connects to the iconnect,giving you a wireless connection from any HDD you connect,also lacie do a network HDD so no need for the iconnect also they do a wireless HDD but haven't tried this.

Most reactions

Latest posts